Thread: Deer Antler Bottle Stopper ...

Deer Antler Bottle Stopper ...

My buddy at work asked if I could make him a bottle stopper out of deer antler. H-m-m-m ... hadn't tried any, so I figured, why not. I've got plenty lying around, so I dug out a piece big enough and long enough to try. I was lucky in that the core was small in diameter and solid enough to not have to stabilize it first. Once I was finished turning, or thought I was, I decided to add that little extra touch and inserted an Indian Head Nickel in the end of it. A little friction polish to add some shine and TA DA! I've sold dozens of these stoppers with various coins in them, so added this one to the mix. I'll take it to him this evening and see if he likes it. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Now that looks great! YOu have given me a great idea for xmas this year!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Ron the bottle stopper looks just great, I have never turned anything from an antler of any kind. Like Jeff say they would make a nice little addition to someones Christmas gift. Jeff lets not cross the Christ out of Christmas, this is a real pet pieve of mine and has been for many years, you know something, many children think Christmas is Santas birthday. Anyway back to the stoppers. There are many Deer around here but I don't think I would have the heart to kill one even though they perform unecessary pruning on my apple trees in the winter and eat the apples in the fall. Some of my friends hunt so I believe I shall have to pay them a visit and practice my scrounging ability. Having never seen the inside of an antler I can't help but wonder what the brown stripes are. Is this a natural color or is it something you applied when you finished it? By the way how do you finish it? Again I must say a real nice looking job then again with a last name like yours, why wouldn't it be nice. Hi ! Hi !

Bruce Smith in saint John N.B. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Smith
    Having never seen the inside of an antler I can't help but wonder what the brown stripes are. Is this a natural color or is it something you applied when you finished it? By the way how do you finish it?

Bruce Smith in saint John N.B. Canada

Bruce,

The brown is from the outside of the antler, which is left when turning. You can continue to turn and get rid of all the brown, leaving the white or gray inner part, but most people feel it gives a little authenticity to the antler turnings to leave some of the outside on it. I personally think if you turn off all the brown, it makes them look plastic. As for finishing, I sand it starting with 120 up through the series to 600 grit. Since there's no "grain" to worry about, I don't worry about sanding lengthwise, like I do with wood. To top it off, I just use friction pen polish to add some gloss, then buff with a paper towel. I really enjoy turning antler. If you need any assistance, feel free to send me a private message and I'll do my best to help out.

Ron
    Thanks, Ron

Looks really nice Ron. My brother has offered to give me a pile of antlers that are laying in his garage so I'm really looking forward to getting started. You've done a great job of showing off the beauty. The nickle is a cool touch too.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Smith
    Jeff lets not cross the Christ out of Christmas, this is a real pet pieve of mine and has been for many years, you know something, many children think Christmas is Santas birthday.
    Bruce, suffice to say I understand what Christmas is all about and it means the same to me whether I call it xmas or christmas, I still pronounce it the same. It is just short hand, much like using w/ instead of with.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

That is exquisite! And adding the nickel was a perfect finishing touch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sure makes me want to go get that pile of antlers in West Texas Ron. Those stoppers look great.

Ernie

I knew there was a reason I saved all those old coins. Really a nice job. I know many of you hunt and that gives you a source for the antlers but since I don't hunt I was thinking of contacting the local zoo and seeing if there was a way to get some from them. has anyone tried that? I'm not sure what kind of response I would get. Probably not as nice as what you are getting . I've got to say it again, really a nice job.

Pat, put out a wanted ad in your local paper or the like. I am sure some hunters have some laying around they don't want!
    Jeff Sudmeier

11. Very nice, Ron! I like antler works.

Thanks for the picture!