Thread: The Floating Credenza - Cabinet back

Blog Entries

The Floating Credenza - Cabinet back

Good morning! Today's post completes the Floating Credenza series. In this post I create a cabinet back, reinforced by dovetailed battens, to close the case and complete the build.

I hope that will check it out and I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...-cabinet-back/
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nicely done Brian. Good luck in the show too.

BTW, nice HNT eye candy. Patrick

Thanks for posting Brian. Looks great in the gallery and glad to hear the opening went well.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hi Brian,
    Sorry if I missed it. How do you attach this unit to the wall? I assume some sort of french cleat?

Again, a very nice "small" detail that lots of the rest of us will not think of with the addition of the anti-bowing battens. To me, your constant attention to detail when designing/planning your pieces is your signature. Side question: I have lusted after a dovetail plane for a while now and considered the ECE as a possible front-runner (HNT G probably way beyond my price range). I wonder if you can offer any review of its performance other than your modification of the bevel angle.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Nicely done Brian. Good luck in the show too.

BTW, nice HNT eye candy. Patrick
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Thanks for posting Brian. Looks great in the gallery and glad to hear the opening went well.

Best,
    C
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Hi Brian,
    Sorry if I missed it. How do you attach this unit to the wall? I assume some sort of french cleat?
    I called an audible on this design and decided to build a base for it, rather than hang on the wall. I will cover the wall-hanging (walnut) cabinet in another thread. In hindsight it was a bit confusing to take this zig-zag approach, but that happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Again, a very nice "small" detail that lots of the rest of us will not think of with the addition of the anti-bowing battens. To me, your constant attention to detail when designing/planning your pieces is your signature. Side question: I have lusted after a dovetail plane for a while now and considered the ECE as a possible front-runner (HNT G probably way beyond my price range). I wonder if you can offer any review of its performance other than your modification of the bevel angle.
    Thanks David! I enjoy the plane, it is an aggressive cutter and does a good job. It's pretty much no-frills. I had to build a fence for it to replace the original fence which was too short for my purposes.

Thanks for the info Brian. I may have to give ECE some of my $.
    David

Looks great Brian. I'm having some problem understanding the inmprovement on the sliding dovetails. Where they coming out of the slot or just loose? Difference in expansion contraction? I'm always interested in these small details.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks James.

I could make them tight, but it always requires a heavy taper which I want to avoid. My ideal is to remove the taper entirely in circumstances where it is unwanted without causing the battens to become loose.

My thought is that a loose batten is basically pointless.

Thanks Brian. Getting away from the lengthwise taper makes perfect sense.
    Jim