Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 1023RL Dust collection

Grizzly 1023RL Dust collection

It sucks. Not in a good way. This thing is absolutely terrible. I can't imagine cutting MDF or something on it. I've never been one for how much sawdust accumulates in the cabinet but this thing has filled up all the way to the slot where the handwheel swings when you tilt the blade. My old Delta left this thing in the dust (pun intended).

I'm pleased with everything else on the saw. Fit, finish, vibration and accuracy are all great. But, without exaggeration, it may as well not have a dust collection port at all. I read of issues online before I bought mine but took them with a grain of salt as I'm not as OCD as many. So if you're out there reading those reviews and are thinking you're easy going like me...stop. The dust collection really is that bad.

Okay now that I'm done venting if you've read this far, does anybody know of a retro fit that will help? Between this and the Domino XL I just bought and christmas I'm a little tapped out currently so I can't drop the money on an overarm guard for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

Marc

The saw has a blade shroud below the blade, but like the dust collection efforts of many manufacturers, it may not work that well. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to improve the pickup below the table. What do you have for a dust collector?

I have the same saw and although some dust builds up in the cabinet I am happy. I added a shark guard over head system and now I'm extremely happy. What size dust collector do you have? Is it a long run? Open gates on other equipment?

I have a G1023RLWX, which is the same saw I think, but with the 5 HP motor and router table attached. I don't seem to have that problem.

My dust collector is a 2 HP Grizzly piped with 4 inch plastic sewer pipe.

Is there a chance you have a restriction in your dust collect piping? I have about 30 feet of pipe and several elbows between my saw and the dust collector...and it works well enough.

I keep thinking you may have something restricting airflow...but that is simply a WAG.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

It's a 2hp collector plumbed through 6" metal pipe and maybe a 20' run through one elbow. It shares the port with my 12" jointer/planer (I move the flex from one to the other). I have no problem collecting the chips from the j/p so if there's an obstruction it's within the saw. That may very well be a possibility but it would've come from the factory that way as the collection has been terrible since day one. It does seems to me as though the blade shroud is doing absolutely nothing - ironic since that was one of my driving factors.

I will endeavor to take apart the flex hose this weekend and see if something is lodged in there. I'll also take the blade out and see if there's any suction in the blade shroud, I haven't thought to try that yet.

Dust collection on tablesaws is inherently bad; there just isn't enough opening to allow a satisfactory volume of air. A ZCI makes it even worse. Grizzly actually recommends opening another port to let the DC run better, but I tried that and it doesn't help.

An overhead guard with a dust port helps dramatically.

I have a harbor freight dust collector that's on its last leg and while I get a little build up around the perimeter I would say it does just fine. There has to be a problem if it is building up on the sloped floor enough to get the slot for tilt hand wheel.

Blog Entries
    My saw has the blade shroud but, the connection point also collects from the cabinet and I have no problems with a 2HP cyclone collector. It sounds like something in the path is blocked and I have not read that you have confirmed that the pathway is clear. I have also read posts where there was some sort of retainer in place for shipping and the shroud hose got torn or tugged off when the blade was raised and lowered without removing the shipping braces. I would confirm the integrity of the pathway. If the only collection is from the shroud and it is intact, perhaps it is just a poor design. I would consider modifying the saw to collect the old-fashioned way from the bottom of the cabinet via a 4" or better yet a 6" port.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    It sucks. Not in a good way. This thing is absolutely terrible. I can't imagine cutting MDF or something on it. I've never been one for how much sawdust accumulates in the cabinet but this thing has filled up all the way to the slot where the handwheel swings when you tilt the blade. My old Delta left this thing in the dust (pun intended).

I'm pleased with everything else on the saw. Fit, finish, vibration and accuracy are all great. But, without exaggeration, it may as well not have a dust collection port at all. I read of issues online before I bought mine but took them with a grain of salt as I'm not as OCD as many. So if you're out there reading those reviews and are thinking you're easy going like me...stop. The dust collection really is that bad.

Okay now that I'm done venting if you've read this far, does anybody know of a retro fit that will help? Between this and the Domino XL I just bought and christmas I'm a little tapped out currently so I can't drop the money on an overarm guard for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

Marc
    I have the same problem. Someone on here did do a modification some time back. I don't recall the outcome of the mod. I've just resolved myself to cleaning out the cabinet every now and then.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it's not moving enough air. I had somewhat of the same problem with my 1023 SLX and ZCI. I drilled some 3/8 holes in the ZCI and the difference was very noticeable.

I have the same saw and get excellent dust collection for a table saw. I widened the port to 6in and only use 3ft of hose, rest 6in metal pipe. There is very little dust in the cabinet. I would suggest widening the port to 6in on all your machines where that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Sounds like it's not moving enough air. I had somewhat of the same problem with my 1023 SLX and ZCI. I drilled some 3/8 holes in the ZCI and the difference was very noticeable.
    I thought of doing that, but someone pointed out the wood covers the holes. Good that its working for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I thought of doing that, but someone pointed out the wood covers the holes. Good that its working for you though.

I do not have holes in my ZCI as I have not seen the need, but think if they were there, they would help air flow through the saw when material was not covering them, so they should be of some benefit.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I'm trying to figure out where you could have holes in your saw insert that wouldn't be covered up completely when you are making a cut? Maybe the far left edge but there can't be anywhere near enough room to make it worth doing.

Blog Entries
    the holes help by moving more air after the cut to clear the saw out better instead of the buildup the OP is getting. Not a fix all but some help.