Thread: Opportunity in ADA Sign Industry

Opportunity in ADA Sign Industry

Hello everyone, I currently run a small wood shop where I make things like; cutting and serving boards, coffee and end tables, desks, live edge shelves, and other commission pieces.

I have a couple good friends that are project managers at construction companies that specialize in multi family apartments. They have come to me to ask if I could complete contracts for signage for them because they currently dislike their current sign makers/installers. Most signs they require are basic in a sense that they are bathroom, stairwell, elevator, and electrical and mechinal room signs. The only concern I have is doing Braille and being ada compliment. I feel most of these signs could be done with a cnc router and aspire, but I could be wrong.

Every site I have went to has pointed me to this site so I'm hoping you guys can help me out and I can complete these contracts! Thank you!

Trent Bishop

Trent,

There is a mountain of information here in this forum plus the Engravers and CNC Forums concerning ADA signs. What you want to do is possible but there are several techniques to consider.

The best and easiest Grade 2 braille translator that I know of was written by Aaron Koehl and is available in our Software Forum. Its a Corel Draw script, as far as I know there isn't a comparable program for Aspire but there are ways to use the Corel script to produce grade 2 braille and copy it into Aspire.

One of the oldest ways to produce braille is with a rotary engraving machine. There is a video on the Vision Engravers web site that is the best I have seen concerning that technique and if you substitute a CNC Router for the rotary engraver you will see how the technique will work for you.

I produce ADA sign blanks with my CNC Router and laser engrave the braille and the tactile text with my Speedy 300 laser engraver. There are some pictures of several ADA signs in my gallery here, check the link in my signature.

Let me know if I can help.