Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techniques for making frames and panels from real wood

Blog Entries

Techniques for making frames and panels from real wood

I am determined to use more "real" wood, even for making tool cabinets. So maybe it makes sense to make carcasses from plywood, but I want to at least make pieces like doors from panels made with hard or soft wood.

I am interested in hand tool techniques for making raised panels and panels in frames. I am looking for the best techniques: draw boring, mitered corners, mortise and tenons, dowels, half laps.....specifically discussed in regard to making frames to hold panels for cabinets and furniture. Specifically how to make frames and panels with hand tools. Also how to mount the panels in the frames. I am trying to avoid machines, but if this is not practical for some parts I am listening.

I take it you've scoured your library for relevant books or videos and cruised around the interweb for articles on the subject? There's a lot out there. Doing your homework will answer a lot of your questions above, and result in better questions here.

And hand tools vs. machines? Go into any museum with 19th century or earlier furniture, and you'll find plentiful examples of frame and panel furniture made with hand tools only.

There is a"Next Project" thread out there.....right below this thread of your's.
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Might involve a Stanley $5 as a plough plane....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I am determined to use more "real" wood, even for making tool cabinets. So maybe it makes sense to make carcasses from plywood, but I want to at least make pieces like doors from panels made with hard or soft wood.

I am interested in hand tool techniques for making raised panels and panels in frames. I am looking for the best techniques: draw boring, mitered corners, mortise and tenons, dowels, half laps.....specifically discussed in regard to making frames to hold panels for cabinets and furniture. Specifically how to make frames and panels with hand tools. Also how to mount the panels in the frames. I am trying to avoid machines, but if this is not practical for some parts I am listening.
    Hi Mike

There are a few articles on my website.

One is this pair:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...dtheframe.html
    http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ingapanel.html

Another is an article by Sean Hughto: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...el%20door.html

Morticing: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...gByChisel.html

Drawboring: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Drawboring.html

There are others, so yell out if you want more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Use quarter sawn or at least rift sawn for the frame. Looks better and is slightly more stable. On the panel you can get fancy with weird grain patterns. Keep the panel rather thin so any cupping or twisting is easilly dealt with by the frame.

Blog Entries
    Ok, more specifics then. Derek I went to your site first, but your work and articles tend to be of a higher caliber than what I think I need for basic shop tables/cabinets, rolling tool cabinets. I am looking for something a little more basic.

Currently I am working on rebuilding an old metal desk. Making a new top for the desk, as the old top was useless. The desk has sentimental value as it belonged to my grandfather. It is a basic old metal desk that I plan to make into a work table for my shop. So far I have four mitered pieces which I attached to the old sheet metal frame that was there after removing the old top. I attached a waterproof composite board as the base for the new top. I am thinking about replaceable\changeable surfaces for the top. So I am thinking about some sort of frame around the existing piece to hold different tops.

I plan to clean and repaint the metal surfaces. The black material is a roll of 3/16" pressed rubber that I am thinking about attaching to a piece of plywood to make a surface for hand sharpening. I like the idea of a waterproof, edge friendly surface that things want slide around on. I am thinking about a glued up wood surface to fit in or around this frame too. The piece of wood is 1" SYP that I have a supply of. I plan to make an outer frame out of the SYP to hold replaceable tops.

Table top rebuild.jpg

I just thought I would turn to fellow Creekers for some ideas about this and other shop related projects I am working on. There are many posts about very nice furniture. I just thought it might be interesting to look at more basic, sturdy shop cabinets and furniture for a change, to see how Creekers approach these projects.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-21-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Screen door for the backdoor..
    IMAG0191.jpg
    Through mortise, getting ready for a pair of dowels.
    IMAG0205.jpg
    Raised panels, set into grooves. Panels were raised with a handplane. 1/4" wide grooves via a plough plane
    groovy wood.jpg
    have since up-graded to a Stanley #45

I recommend through mortise and tenons for frame and panel work. If you make blind mortises they ought to be at least 1 1/2 inches deep. Stub tenons tend to break out the face of the stile.

With a deep mortise it is some work to remove all the waste and also to keep the mortise perpendicular. A through mortise, because it is cut from both sides, tends to correct for angular inaccuracy and the waste is easier to remove.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of through mortise and tenons, particularly as they are easier to make for these more basic projects. How would you recommend holding the joints together? I am working on some shutters, that will be outside for example. Will Titebond III "waterproof" glue be sufficient? Screws, drawboring, small nails...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I like the idea of through mortise and tenons, particularly as they are easier to make for these more basic projects. How would you recommend holding the joints together? I am working on some shutters, that will be outside for example. Will Titebond III "waterproof" glue be sufficient? Screws, drawboring, small nails...?
    For something exposed to the weather draw boring would provide a back up holding method to glue.

The hand tools needed for this kind of work would start with the basics of a plow plane and a rabbet plane. If you want to get a bit fancier, then add some beading blades and a gouge to match to add a decorative touch to the frame.

I think Steven and myself have both used Stanley/Bailey #6 planes to raise a simple panel.

To get a bit fancier with the panel, hollows and rounds can do a lot. For starters, a large round sole plane can make an impressive panel when used with a rabbet plane. Make any cross grain cuts first so the cuts with the grain can clear away any tear out that commonly occurs at the edges when planing across the grain.

The panel for this frame and panel cabinet door was done with a large round molding plane:

Raised Panel Door.jpg

Nothing real fancy but it still looks better than a flat door.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    With a deep mortise it is some work to remove all the waste and also to keep the mortise perpendicular. A through mortise, because it is cut from both sides, tends to correct for angular inaccuracy and the waste is easier to remove.
    This is great info to remember.

Nice cabinet, Jim. I'm curious why you chose to make the top & bottom reveals on the panel so much wider than the side reveals. Certainly, it emphasizes the height of the cabinet; I've just not seen it before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Nice cabinet, Jim. I'm curious why you chose to make the top & bottom reveals on the panel so much wider than the side reveals. Certainly, it emphasizes the height of the cabinet; I've just not seen it before.
    Thanks Pat, that was my first attempt at a raised panel with a round plane. Second attempt at a raised panel in my woodworking.

Chalk it up to lack of experience.

Sometimes you have to make the mistakes to learn something new. Especially when your only teacher is the internet and magazines.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Seems to "center" the panel, doesn't it.

There is also the so-called Bridle joints....PITA to do, but gives more places for any glue or pins..
    door view.jpg
    Even the sides were done as a raised panel sitting in a frame..
    inside of door.jpg
    Better look?
    side view.jpg
    Enclosed End Table, in white Oak.

Blog Entries
    Nice Steven,

I like the rougher textured wood.

Here is one I am working on:

Raised Panels.jpg

Jim, is a round a wood plane with a rounded blade & rounded sole? Would like to be able to do that without a router. I have been doing the basic work with a Custom 5 1/2. I will try with a #6 later today, but I think they are fairly close.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-22-2016 at 2:47 PM.