Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: optimal router table set up

Check out the RT 1000, I am happy with mine. Usually on sale this time of year too. Although not sure when they will resume operations.

http://www.rt1000.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Belleman View Post
    Check out the RT 1000, I am happy with mine. Usually on sale this time of year too. Although not sure when they will resume operations.

http://www.rt1000.com
    I have one of these. As luck would have it, I just sent an Email yesterday to them commenting on how poor the table is. As they seem to be down and out, at least for a time, I shall not expect any help there.

I found the top to be quite uneven, the aluminum plate drooped (or was twisted initially), miter T-track was proud of the table, fence faces are not coplaner, several other alignment errors. May just be bad luck and I got a lemon, I do not know. All I do know is that my experience is very different from Guy's.
    Mike

Ive got the PC 7815 in an Incra Lift with the Clean Sweep magnetic inserts and the full sized BenchDog cast iron table on the BenchDog metal stand with the BenchDog ProFence with Jessem Clear Cut Guides and the Rockler metal dust box around the router. Awesome setup with amazing dust collection. IMO cast iron is the only top/table Ill consider for any of my stationary tools. I did start with the BenchDog ProLift but liked the features of the Incra lift much more so I ended up selling the ProLift.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

You will have no problems with the bench dog lift. I bought the PC 7518, and the cast iron table and lift and couldn't be happier. You use a crank on a recessed bolt to set height and the crank is indexed in 1/128" increments. The Rockler sale price is less than what I paid years ago.
    Last edited by Ruperto Mendiones; 11-23-2016 at 1:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread; does anybody have any recent experience with the Sommerfeld router table and the Triton router? Looks like an interesting setup.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I too chose to build my own table using the Incra lift and super fence. I wanted a large table to minimize the overhang of the Incra Jig. I also chose, after much deliberation and use of other tables to build mine much higher than some. I have my top set at just below chest level. I made the top from 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF bonded together with contact cement and covered top, bottom & sides with a white marble look Formica counter top veneer. I have been using it for 3 years or so & have never regretted the size or height. I mounted full swivel casters at the rear hidden behind wooden corners. At the front I made identical corners but cut a slot at about 1/2 way across the face of the cabinet to allow me to insert a 3rd wheel to lift the cabinet when I need to move it. I will try to attach some photos if possible.IMG_1728.jpgIMG_2265-1.jpg

7. I have an Incra Ultra (pre-LS) positioner on an Incra top with Incra plate holding a Triton 3.25hp router. The router has height and bit change capabilities and cost less than a router lift. I use a Wixey height gauge and at this point the only thing I feel I need to add is the Wonder Fence. In lieu of the wonder fence I have some wooden fences that attach to the Ultra fence for close clearance around large diameter bits.

8. I also use two of the right-to-left inch scale templates in addition to the joinery templates in my setup. One scale is zeroed to the center of the router, the other floats to provide a zero location for whatever width I'm working with. This still leaves two slots for the actual joinery templates.

I have both a stand-alone router table/cabinet witha cross-braced 1-1/4" laminate-surfaced MDF top & 7518 router with lift; and a Summerfield anodized aluminum top with a Triton router, set up as a table saw extension table.

Bottom line, despite my stand-alone tables router lift, micro-adjust fence, and digital readout, I still go to the Summerfeld first. I especially like the Summerfeld pivoting fence -- it 's sooo easy to work with. My stand-alone table has been relegated to when I want to go back and forth between two set-ups.

It's a small pain to reach under the Summerfeld table to adjust the router, but the Triton router has both a quick and a micrometer adjust, and the shaft automatically locks in the full up position.

Summerfeld's offset collet wrenches are very convenient (they are available a number of places).

The Summerfield table has holes for direct router mounting -- no rectangular router mounting plate -- which limits flexibility for router lifts and other after-market options that are plate-based.

In other words, the Summerfeld solution has limitations, but I still find it faster and easier to set up and use; making it my go to router.