Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this worth going to look at? (Maple logs)

Is this worth going to look at? (Maple logs)

Are these logs figured and if so what kind? I have made contact with the owner and they are realatively cheap. There about 6 of them about 14" ind dia and 17" long. It is about an hours drive. He doesn't really know what they will look like when split open. He will make firewood out of them if nobody takes them. I'm not used to looking at teh log from the outside.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm, I don't know if I would drive an hour for them or not. Questions to ask, how long has it been down? If it was cut this fall, I would go. If it has been down a year or more, I wouldn't, mostly because BLM rots really fast, and end checking will ruin most of it unless you really like to use super glue. Price wise, it is only fire wood till you make some thing out of it.

robo hippy

It's been down a year but suppose to have minimal checking. I skeptical about that since the ends were not sealed.

It certainly appears it will have some nice figure - likely tiger/curly though BLM often has a mix of figure. Driving an hour one way - not sure about that given the likelihood the wood could have deteriorated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    It's been down a year but suppose to have minimal checking. I skeptical about that since the ends were not sealed.
    A photo of the end should give some idea about checking and also spalting. If solid, two barkless natural edge long bowl/platter could be made out of the 14Dx17L section or cutting off ends would yield two approx. 12" bowls without the bark. The hour drive might make questionable on old wood not properly stored.

I live in a dry climate and fresh cut logs start to crack on the ends within an hour or two. Fresh cut logs after a week or two may even have lengthwise cracks lining up with the end cracks. Sometimes I'll stick a wire into the crack. If it goes in more than an inch or two, it is going to be a salvage (CA glue or epoxy) repair job. I know that you are in a more humid climate. But, I would be surprised if the wood is worth wood turning.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have until after the holidays to think about it. He said that he volunteers in Portland 1 day a week at the airport and can bring it in for me to look at. It will only be a 10 minute drive that way.

Blog Entries
    Better bet than a lottery ticket what $ is he asking for all of it cause you don't want one and find gold . You can always build a fire and stay warm for a few min .

What is " BLM " ?

Jay asked "what is BLM". It could be the Bureau of Land Mgmt., or Black Lives Matter. Or Broad Leaf Maple.

Many posters like to use abbreviations. I sometimes struggle too.

BLM was a reference to big leaf maple, aka, broad leaf maple or Oregon maple.

Gary, the rest may not think it's worth the drive, but, I sure do. That wood is going to show some wonderful figure, and I think it's well worth turning. It's only an hour drive, I'm sure you've driven that far for something in the past.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    What is " BLM " ?
    This ..........

Big Leaf Maple.jpg
    Have fun and take care

He is going to bring it into town on 12/8. He only wants $60 for all of it. If it is bad maybe he will even take less. If he can't sell it he is just going to chop it up for firewood. We will see what it looks like. If nothing else it might make a lot for pen and bottle stopper blanks.

Cary, I hope it is sound as the figure looks very promising. I have turned a lot of BLM and it is really nice wood. However, when it goes bad, it does so quickly and I detest fighting punky wood in an effort to get a good finish cut. My advice would be to avoid the wood if it is not solid. I have bought a lot of BLM, but I won't pay for deteriorating wood. My time wasted on bad wood could be spent on good wood, providing more pleasure and a better result.