Thread: Advice on a printer

Advice on a printer

Hey Guys!

I'm thinking about adding a printer to my business to be able to make large vinyl signs, and custom large size mouse pads, and I would like some advice.

I have to be able to print 48" wide by however long I would need it to go. I also need it to print on vinyl. I would 'like' to be able to print on neoprene up to 1/8 thick if that could be done by the same type of printer.

So...
    If I need 48" does that mean I need a 48" printer or do I need a bigger one?
    Are there other materials / tools that I'll need to be able work with the vinyl and / or neoprene?
    Any specific brands / business I should avoid?

Thanks!
    Walt
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

You need a 50", they have a 48" print area. Look up Mutoh ValueJET or PrismJET as an example. They are made for roll media, and 1/8 could be a problem though there may be a few that do it, a flatbed such as Roland VersaUV that comes up to 48"x96" print area would be best for thick material. Very expensive, and not good for long banners.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe, you've got me pointed in the right direction!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Just so you know, there are a good amount of b2b printers for the sign industry at this point. I'd look into that as an option or a starting point before jumping in with both feet. If you're a busy shop, you need your own printer, but if it's just another service you're offering, between inventory and the actual cost ($10k+) it might be just better to farm it out.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I agree with Ross. Unless you're living in an are where no-one else is offering printed vinyl, you're going to spend a lot of money on the printer & the laminator, & you need a lot of space. Clrean, dust-free space, I might add. Unless you have some awesome desdign skills & are well known already, you're going to have to sell on price-point alone. If this is the case, your accountant isn't going to be happy, nor are you, but you won't have to pay much tax.
    It's better to farm this out until you're buying $20k or more in prints every year & THEN buy your own.