Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna...Still The Same... (DC)

Laguna...Still The Same... (DC)

I hate to write about this experience, but I have to, cuz I know how important good customer support is to all of us who purchase machines with our hard-earned Money. Let me first say that the CS person that I've been dealing with has been kind, courteous and I'm sure, has gone out of his way to do his darnedest to help me, but I just don't think Laguna is set up to support it's customers, after the sale. I know back a while, there was plenty of talk about how poor their CS had been and I really thought that a lot of that had changed over the years, which is one of big reasons I pulled the trigger on one of their 2HP dust collectors, about a year ago.
    Recently, I've been having trouble with breakers tripping on start up of the DC, so I gave Laguna a call and right away, the tech new that I needed a new start and run capacitors and that this happens often enough. I was a little surprised that he was going to charge me for them, but I was desperate and he had me over a barrel, so I said OK. He had my model # and SN, so I figured he knew what I needed.
    Well, when I received the caps, they were the wrong ones, as they wouldn't fit in the little black box on the motor. I called the tech and he seemed puzzled. He asked me to send pics of the caps I had, so I did. After a back and forth, he said no one there really knew what caps I needed or knew where to get them and that he'd have to contact the home office and get some info. About a week later, he contacted me and told me that he finally found out which caps I needed, but didn't know where to get them, so he'd have to find that out. So now it's been about a month since my initial call and I still don't have the caps. I've been told that the run will be on it's way, but he doesn't know where the start cap is or when he'll be sending it.
    Ya know...I'm 63 years old and have purchased a lot of machines. I've called both large and small manufacturers for support so I kinda know what I should expect. Given a model # and serial number of a machine, wouldn't you expect that Laguna should at least know what parts that machine takes and where they can get those parts? I mean, shouldn't someone there know, especially since I'm not the first person to call about this issue on this model machine? Foreign manufacturer or not, shouldn't they at least have parts lists of the machines they sell?
    I don't know...maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really can't put the blame on manufacturing being done over seas. Just about all machines these days are made overseas and I've not had this happen before.
    Just thought you folks should know...

It doesn't surprise me at all.My tempest cyclone start can pooped out and penn state could not find the one that would fit. I had to buy a start cap from Powermatic to fit inside the housing on my bandsaws motor.Because I could not find one on line to fit.
    Its got to be a China motor thing.
    Aj

If you know the spec of the caps from your pic, have you tried sourcing them yourself in order to get up and running again?

Maybe we can help you. Caps are pretty easy to source and within rage have flexability. Also they typically have the info on then that you need. You have them handy? Can you post for us what is written on them. Also a local motor shop may have them on the shelf local. If not amazon is handy usually.

Not a great pic. Hope it works. IMG_1465.jpg

Is it a 120 or 240 motor?

It's easy to find a cap that matches the capacity and voltage rating - it's a bit trickier to find one that is physically the same size and fits the housing. Dimensions would help, but here's an example replacement:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#7245K38

Any number of those at Amazon, McMaster and so on. You may find the end caps and leads can be reused so just a bare cap is all you need. You'll need to take one apart to figure out if they are flying leads or attached to lugs

I would expect more from Laguna for sure, but in this case you should have asked us! Telling you to source the caps yourself would have had you up and running in a day or two, likely for half the price of what you got from Laguna.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'm not at all good with these things, so I just figured that the manufacturer would be my best bet. I just had no idea and by the time I did, I had already paid up. I'll still do some research though and see if I can find replacements. I should have gone Oneida, but I was trying to save a few bucks. My bad.

I think you need to order the capacitors online and move on with life. There are some companies that sell good machinery, but have poor service. They know they have poor service, and almost seem confused when we are offended by it. I'm not talking specifically about anyone. They know who they are..

I have a 2016 model bandsaw that's had 2 issues.. Its needed parts 2 times. I had one part made at a machine shop, the other was a switch which I ordered from Eaton. I paid for both repairs and its a great saw. Life is too short to not just get on with it.

The best company I've dealt with on service to date is Martin. I emailed them last night with a question I couldn't answer from the manual .. I got a response from Germany in less than 24 hours. The fella in Canada that I emailed didn't know, so he forwarded my question to the plant. Bingo .. the answer worked, life is good.

I'm gonna buy a new sander soon, If Martin made one and it was close in price, I would buy it from them.. They don't make one, so I can't ..

There are companies out there that make good sanders, but have lousy service. I'm still looking, might buy their machine, but won't pay a premium from a company with bad service.
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 11-21-2016 at 9:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    There are companies out there that make good sanders, but have lousy service. I'm still looking, might buy their machine, but won't pay a premium from a company with bad service.
    Exactly my point. Also, there are those that can and do and there are those that call tech support.

Blog Entries
    Great support and prices from Temco. I called them on the phone and a guy spent a good 15 minutes with me making sure of the physical dimensions and ratings so I would get the right thing the first time. I'd just give them a call with the caps in your hand and let them ask the questions ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not an apology for Laguna but this happens all the time with Chinese motors. They change the cap size but keep the rest of the "important" motor specs the same. Nobody knows this even happened until someone needs a cap.

As for sourcing the caps you friendly neighborhood HVAC supply house is a good source. Take the caps in with you and they can more than likely hook you up. I can't remember when I have ordered a cap online since it is quicker to just go pick them up and I can verify the size in person. The 300 mfd is important BUT as long as the voltage is the same OR higher it is fine.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Careful with the capacitors.. They can zap you even after outside the machine.

Why not work with the Laguna tech to see if they will reimburse you for the cost of a start cap from a local source? Mine went out on a Delta single stage DC, so I went to the local electric motor repair firm and got a new one. It did not fit the black box on the motor, so I just used some zip ties to attach it to the motor, and all worked fine.