Thread: Infill Envy and shoulder iron info

Infill Envy and shoulder iron info

I was heavily involved in buying/selling/hoarding/using hand tools 15 years ago. The Old Tools List was an addiction and a very slippery slope. I ended up selling many of my tools but kept the cream of the crop and still use them today, mainly Stanley's Type 6a bench planes.

My dream THEN was to make planes. I designed a couple but never had the time to make them. I'm on a path to investment cast some bodies in bronze in the next year.....but for now I'd like to monkey around with dovetailed bodies.

I have had an older Shopnotes article of building a small dovetailed shoulder plane and I thought this would be a great project over the holidays. I started acquiring bits and pieces but hit a brick wall when it comes to the iron described/used in the article: an 11/16" iron with a slot on the end of the iron for the depth adjuster. I am not finding anything. I could make my own if I have to, but I'd prefer to find something commercially available for this project. I can find replacement 3/4" for a Clifton 420 and I could grind it to 11/16" if I have to. I really like the idea of an 11/16" shoulder plane as opposed to a 3/4".

The article:
    http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/shopnotes-88-dovetailed-shoulder-plane.pdf

The iron in the article isn't really discussed at all, as though it's easy to find. Perhaps it was in 2008?

Any info/leads to a commercially available 11/16" iron with a blade adjustment slot would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows of one.
    Last edited by Eric Rimel; 11-21-2016 at 9:04 PM.

The iron for the Clifton 410 is 18mm - 11.38/16". How's that?

031127.jpg
    Highland Woodworking, $30: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...ment-Iron.html; maybe other places, too.

Sadly those are Unobtanium in the U.S.....I've looked everywhere I can think of.....thus the post. I'd rather grind a 3/4" (I can find these) down than have one shipped from the UK.

Aha! Woodworkers Supply has 3. Soon to be one less.

I actually bought 2.
    Last edited by Eric Rimel; 11-21-2016 at 11:27 PM.