Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Fried Turkey

I did the fried turkey thing one year and was not impressed. Yes it was good, but about the same as the oven baked. Nobody in the family thought it was good enough for the mess and cost.

This year I am going to BBQ/smoke one in a friend's Green Egg. I am told that is worth the extra work, plus it frees up the oven for other things. If it doesn't work out, my goose will be cooked.

I've been smoking a turkey on Christmas Day for the past few years. Makes getting up at 4 AM to do it well worth it. Our nexties join us for the meal, and would probably do anything for me at this point. My wife makes a butter-bacon-herbs puree that gets slathered under the skin prior to going on the smoker.

Now I'm hungry even though I just finished eating breakfast.

I used to fry turkeys, but for the size of group we had, it was tough to get them just right--big birds are harder to get cooked all the way through without burning the drumsticks (my favorite part...). Smaller birds are outstanding.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

If you really want a good-eatin' bird for Thanksgiving-- Swan...
    But don't deep fry it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Did the smoke turkey today and I was concerned at first. It was dark brown and I was sure overcooked. Turned out it was almost perfect. Absolutely a great way to cook turkey. Use about three tablespoons of the drippings for the gravy and the gravy had a great smokey flavor too. Will definitely do it again next year.

We smoke them, fry them and roast them and brine them sometimes before cooking. They can be delicious prepared any number of ways, this year was smoked.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.