Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the Only One To Notice?

Blog Entries

Am I the Only One To Notice?

There is a Febreze plug in commercial on TV where one of the air fresheners is plugged into an outlet. The outlet is backwards:

Odd Outlet.png

The large blade should be on the left with the ground pin at the bottom.

In the TV commercial there is a hand plugging the air freshener into an outlet. Later the image of the air freshener in the outlet has the proper orientation.

My wife thinks I am sometimes too observant.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-22-2016 at 4:06 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What happens is that the graphics people sometimes reverse a picture because it looks better that way. They will even reverse a person occasionally if they need the person facing the other direction. Most people never notice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Did you get the licence plate # of the last car that past you on the road today??? What color car was it??? Do you remember what you had for dinner yesterday???
    John T.

I'm always pointing out inconsistencies in movies, to my wife .... Great fun finding them ....

What I always notice is the entire plug is upside down. Ground is supposed to be on top, at least in a commercial setting; I was a PM in commercial construction for years so my instinct is to flip it around.

Thought is with the ground down, that if the plug is not inserted all the way a piece of metal could abort across the hot/neutral and cause a fire. That scenario wouldn't happen with ground up.

When I worked for CVS and Revco drug stores their ground pins were down but in the hospitals they were up. There were pictures that we had to install in the waiting area that in some stores the man faced left and in other stores he faced right. Depending on the side the waiting area was.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 11-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kintner View Post
    I'm always pointing out inconsistencies in movies, to my wife .... Great fun finding them ....
    I'M with you, but my much better half just rolls her eyes, as though she thinks I'm a nut job . . . . . .Currently, with all the holiday shows she watches on the Hallmark channel, I can't help but comment on the fake snow blankets on the ground, over the bushes, etc. One of these days I will have to "let it go, dear" . . . . . . until then, ever vigilant!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What I always notice is the entire plug is upside down. Ground is supposed to be on top, at least in a commercial setting; I was a PM in commercial construction for years so my instinct is to flip it around.
    The electrical subcontractor who did our addition installed ALL of the outlets with the ground on top (several dozen!)...and that's been a royal pain in the you-know-what. That orientation doesn't work for things like power bricks and other pluggable items and I've had to go back an flip a bunch of them over to allow things to work as expected. While I understand the logic of ground on top...um...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And now we know why the plug on the Febreze rotates so it can be used ether way.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    When we had a room addition built both of the led dimmers were upside down. Upon closer look that's how they were made. The power switch had off up and on down.
    We had the room built before my daughter met and married a residential and commercial electrition. It bugged him so much he turned them over.
    That's the on/off switch, the dimmer lever slid up to brighten.

Blog Entries
    That orientation doesn't work for things like power bricks and other pluggable items and I've had to go back an flip a bunch of them over to allow things to work as expected.
    Power bricks are one of the things where the people who design them could use a bit of education.

First do not make them so big as to block the whole outlet or the next plug on a power strip. Set the power prongs toward the top edge.

Second is do they really need a polarized plug to work? Doesn't the plug go straight into a transformer anyway?

Third can't they be made so a large truck going by doesn't shake them loose from the wall outlet?

One of my power bricks must have gotten someone fired. It actually has a couple of feet of line cord with a plug so it doesn't have to hang from the wall or off the edge of a power strip. That is the kind of brilliant thinking that likely goes unrewarded in todays corporate cut every corner for cost world.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is Febreze plug in commercial on TV where one of the air fresheners is plugged into an outlet. The outlet is backwards:
    ALL of ours are like that. I don't consider them to be backwards.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    ALL of ours are like that. I don't consider them to be backwards.
    All of your plugs have the large blade socket on the right with the ground pin down?

A standard polarized plug with a ground pin would not work in such a receptacle.

One more thing on power bricks, wouldn't it be nice if they included a socket on the side opposite the plug? Then the user could piggy back it with another power brick. Most likely it would end up having a thermal runaway situation, never mind.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Thought is with the ground down, that if the plug is not inserted all the way a piece of metal could abort across the hot/neutral and cause a fire. That scenario wouldn't happen with ground up.
    As I understand the NEC, it doesn't specify any orientation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    All of your plugs have the large blade socket on the right with the ground pin down?
    No. The ground is down. Neutral to the left. That picture is mirrored.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night