Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When You Have Chickens...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This is a bit off topic but the other thing that chickens attract is snakes. The snakes will swallow the eggs and then wrap themselves around a post to break the eggs. They will also swallow baby chicks.

I grew up on a chicken farm - I've seen both situations personally. (well, I've seen them with the egg lumps in their body - I haven't see them breaking the eggs. I have also seen them with baby chicks lumps.)

For some reason, to this day, I can't eat eggs except scrambled or as part of another dish. I simply can't eat eggs sunny side up.

Mike
    This summer I had two peacocks sitting on over 30 eggs. TWICE a big black snake interrupted the incubation and none of the eggs hatched. One snake was trying to swallow an egg but it was too big. The other had given up and was coiled around an egg, maybe thinking "it's mine, it's mine!"

snake_peacocks.jpg

I'm designing a new nesting box for next year.

I caught one snake in the chicken house with an egg half in his mouth. Missed my chance for a great picture...

JKJ

May I recommend a bucket rat trap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAHzadjxSI

Safe for birds and very effective. If you add some antifreeze to the water, it improves its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ... I've trapped numerous possums, racoons, and skunks with these. .....to be attracted.

JKJ
    So, once you catch a skunk, alive, what do you do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The other had given up and was coiled around an egg, maybe thinking "it's mine, it's mine!"

JKJ
    Maybe thought it could break the egg by constricting around it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You do know that traditional mayo is just egg white and olive oil don't you?

jtk
    All the recipes I've seen for homemade mayo specify Yolks only, no whites, some spices, usually mustard, oil, and acid (lemon or vinegar), salt and pepper.

Yeah, I could put all that stuff in the eggs, but mayo is easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    All the recipes I've seen for homemade mayo specify Yolks only, no whites, some spices, usually mustard, oil, and acid (lemon or vinegar), salt and pepper.

Yeah, I could put all that stuff in the eggs, but mayo is easier.
    Interesting, my recipe came from a friend long ago. Just now discovered there are different mayonnaise recipes depending on whether one wants to use the whites or yolks.

Egg White Mayonnaise.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)