Thread: Aftermarket remote control for Laguna 2HP dust collector

Aftermarket remote control for Laguna 2HP dust collector

Hello,

Has anyone found an aftermarket replacement for the Laguna remote control. Mine died and I was hoping to get something a little more robust.

Should I just go and get a remote switch like the PSI LR220?

Anyone use it with the Laguna?

Thanks,

Larry

Have you looked at the iVac Pro 240V switch? LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

That looks pretty cool but it may be more than I want to spend.

Looks to be a fair price for something that will control 2 HP. All the searching I have done for my own system says that you won't get much change from $100.

Another option is the Long Ranger https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki.../dp/B00004S9AI It's also available for 220 Volt

When I looked at the iVac I was adding in the cost of also buying the auto switch for each of my tools. So at $80 plus $60 a tool it was costly.

I think I am leaning towards the PSI one you linked to on Amazon. I really don't need anything that fancy.

When I posted I was hoping that someone smarter than me figured out how to configure a universal remote to do the job.

I stumbled on this site when I picked up a home-brew cyclone on CL and needed a remote for it:

http://www.tgiag.com/Knowledgebase/W...%20remote.html

Works great. Super easy/cheap to build. I have a Long Ranger at work and the remote is too big. I clip this remote to a caribiner on my work apron. If the remote dies or I lose it, the whole remote package is about $8.
    Last edited by Eric Rimel; 11-24-2016 at 8:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rimel View Post
    I stumbled on this site when I picked up a home-brew cyclone on CL and needed a remote for it:

http://www.tgiag.com/Knowledgebase/W...%20remote.html

Works great. Super easy/cheap to build. I have a Long Ranger at work and the remote is too big. I clip this remote to a caribiner on my work apron. If the remote dies or I lose it, the whole remote package is about $8.

For someone who's up to it, that's that most 'heavy duty' solution for <$100 you're likely to find. And you might be able to do it for less than Dom spent with some careful shopping.

Sorry I got side tracked with Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the suggestions and to Dom Greco, thanks for one of the best write ups I have ever seen. Photos, links, and a wiring diagram.

At my house we have now entered the "don't buy any stuff since we may get it for you as Christmas gift" stage of the year.

So we will see.

Thanks again

Larry

I made one pretty much like Greco's, but on my 3hp Laguna the filter cleaner went off every time I turned the machine off, which was really obnoxious. I put my remote switch on the impeller motor. I turned the cyclone on in the morning, turned the impeller on and off with the remote, and in the evening I turned the cyclone off; which ran the filter cleaner. I don't how the 2hp is, but you might think about it.

My solution for the remote was to make a docking point on each of my machines. I installed a small screw and rubber pad on each machine and just clip the Long Ranger to what ever machine I'm using. It's not complicated and works well for me.
    BTW, I've been using the PSI Long Ranger trouble free for close to 15 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use a long ranger, and yes the remote is cumbersome but it works. I tried the docking system at each tool but found I always left it there and constantly had to retrace my steps to wherever I left the remote. I clip it to the top of my apron now and leave it there. It's not perfect but it works.

I bought a Maxsys for my Festool CT22 and one for my 1 1/2 Jet dust collector came with two remotes that have two buttons. A button works the CT 22 and B button works the dust collector. Very small remotes. This guy can make a remote control to your specs. Great service and very good product.

http://www.rts-engineering.com/

Jack

I built my own. Used a junction box and a double-poll contactor that operated the solenoid via 110v power. Went to Lowes and bought a wireless lamp control and all I've had to do is replace the battery once in 10 years use. My total cost was less than $50.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi folks, I realize this is an older thread but wanted to share that iVac now have a new product that works with remote controlled dust collectors (including Laguna's P-Flux) directly - it's called the MSCA-RC and is setup like any other Pro contactor / switch (e.g.: channel to listen on, how long to stay on/off, etc) but instead of controlling a 120v or 240v device, it pairs up with a 3.5mm jack to a learning remote (IVACRMDPP) that can learn your Laguna's on/off signals. I contacted support to get the wiring details and was advised to grab one of these instead - overall I'm very impressed with how easy it was to setup and it works a treat on my P-Flux|2 system.

https://www.ivacswitch.com/wp-conten...erGuide_v1.pdf