Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a nice cherry board

Looking for a nice cherry board

I'm building a Pennsylvania secretary and have purchased most the cherry cut from the same tree. However, I don't have a board that is wide enough for the desk lid. I need something in excess of 14 inches, 4/4's at least 3 feet in length and hopefully with a nice figure in the grain since it will be front and center. I was at WWIA and spoke with a sawyer who said they could supply my needs. Upon contacting the company they said they usually only sell full flitches and didn't know if they would have what I needed.

We are currently traveling for the holidays in the DC area, so could stop anywhere between there and Indiana on the way home to select and pick up the piece.
    Any leads or suggestions? Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

If you have to do a single board, you're a ways from Pennsylvania, but I highly recommend Horizon Wood. You should be able to source a stunning, curly cherry slab that's at least 14" wide.

Not interested in veneering that lid? Better figure + better stability???

I had similar need once and called Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, Pennsylvania. They picked a board that fit my description and shipped it. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you have to do a single board, you're a ways from Pennsylvania, but I highly recommend Horizon Wood. You should be able to source a stunning, curly cherry slab that's at least 14" wide.
    Not interested in veneering that lid? Better figure + better stability???
    Horizon is the place that told me they didn't think they could fill my needs. No, definity not interested in veneering. I'll be bread boarding the lid. Thanks anyway. Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I had similar need once and called Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, Pennsylvania. They picked a board that fit my description and shipped it. No complaints.
    I use Groff and Groff. Really like them. About 2 1/2 hours from Washington, DC. Nice drive up there. Beautiful Amish farm country.

http://www.groffslumber.com/

PHM

I think in your inquiries you should say whether you would accept sap edges in that dimension. For that purpose, I would not. Would rather have glue joint in two pieces from same board.

Blog Entries
    It's not impossible to find in dimensional lumber, but certainly rare. I would expect to buy a flitch if I were set on the above choice. I can't imagine why sequenced matched or book matched boards wouldn't look as nice or nicer than one piece.

Usually on any given day at my local yard I'll be able to find 12" clear cherry without issue, and flitches out to 20" wide or more.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Bob,

Contact my brother at his website curlymaple.com. He operates in north central PA and might have what you need. There is some wide cherry that gets cut now and then. He does mail order, so no need to travel.

Sometimes, just a yard sale away...
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Walnut on the right, Cherry on the left, at the bottom edges of both
    Walnut.jpg
    And the top half. Just using the last of the Cherry now. The two planks price? $1 each....

Personally, I would use a narrower board and resaw it for a bookmatched wide board. This will offers a more symmetrical presentation than a single wide board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Irion lumber would be my go to, they have some unbelievable Cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Personally, I would use a narrower board and resaw it for a bookmatched wide board. This will offers a more symmetrical presentation than a single wide board.Derek
    No doubt the mirror-image of a bookmatch would be precisely symmetrical but I like the cathedral pattern of a wide flat cut board for the natural variation, not to mention all the other highly pleasing grain patterns one can find (if one is lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Irion lumber would be my go to, they have some unbelievable Cherry.
    Robert,

Wood to drool over is pretty much their specialty, isn't it?

Thanks, for the leads. I think I can find what I need from the above sources. Been visiting family in the east over Thanksgiving, and I'm already itching to get back to work in the shop. Bob