Thread: turning my first green bowl

turning my first green bowl

well I picked me up a piece of green wood the other day and thought I would try turning it,,,it was a piece that was cut up after a tree had been took down,,other than the bark,,the ends looked fairly square,,i mounted it on a face plate and brought the tail stock up to support it,,,i turned the sides using a roughing gouge and got it round ,,so I went to the end to try to face it off and smooth it using a 1/2 bowl gouge,,i wasn't running it but about 200 to 500 rpm,,,i cant tell you how many catches I had,,and it was so bad it was pulling the bowl gouge between the wood and tool rest,,so bad it actually pulled it away from the chuck and I had the tool rest so close to the wood,,,,lol,,I know im doing something wrong,,,could anyone help or give some suggestions,,,i had planed on putting a picture on here but couldn't get it downloaded to my computer,,,thank you

Jeff...There's not much info to go on but you've obviously had some problems (and welcome by the way...). Strongly suggest you search for a local turning club and gain some hand's on training...you'll learn much faster and certainly more safely.

I was just thinking,,,should I have split the wood and then turned it,,,i was turning from end to end,,,could that have been the reason,,,

I turn green wood almost exclusively. I have a lot of videos up on You Tube on the subject if you type in robo hippy. A play date would be in order, but since you are on the other side of the country, and no one has invented the transporters yet, I can't do that.... Most likely your catches are a 'presentation' problem, which means how do you stick it into spinning wood without getting catches. The closer to round the piece is when you first mount it, the easier it is to turn, and the less work you have to do. My guess on the catching problem would be that your flutes are straight up rather than rolled over on the side, and your handle is low. This works a lot better if you roll the flutes over on the side. I always start nearest the middle, by where the tailstock would be, and nibble my way out to the end. If you have a round log section on the lathe, that is difficult, but it can be done. Clubs have mentors, and you can learn a lot from videos, but you can't beat hands on...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    ...i mounted it on a face plate and brought the tail stock up to support it,,,i turned the sides using a roughing gouge and got it round ,,so I went to the end to try to face it off and smooth it using a 1/2 bowl gouge,,...
    Jeff, it sounds like you had quite the trauma, yiikes! As Reed mentioned, the problem is doubtless in how you are presenting the gouge to the wood. Grip, stance, and and tool force also contribute. What kind of turning have you done before this?

I'm certain that what went wrong could be fixed with a little practice or even quicker with a mentor. Once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how it goes!

If you lived closer to Knoxville I'd say come over and visit. (I know it's a long drive, I used to live in Kernersville.) Hey, do you ever get out towards Raleigh? Well-known turner Frank Penta has an amazing shop less than an hour from Greensboro. Knowing Frank, he would drop everything to help. Or better, one day a week excellent turners come to play and visitors are welcome. If you might be interested, I could call him and find out the details.

Or, as mentioned, a local woodturning club might put you in touch with someone around the corner who could help.

One comment, if the roughing gouge you used is one with a tang held in the handle, it is not recommended for use on face turning. The tang is a weak point and many have been broken with a catch, some with injuries. Better to use a big bowl gouge. Better still, make the blank as round as you can with a bandsaw or other means before turning. I like to cut it round then flatten both the top and the bottom before turning.

JKJ

Jeff: Did you mount the piece with the grain parallel to the ways? That's the way it sounds to me. Others have advised what could have gone wrong, but much of the technique and tools that you will use depend on whether you are turning an "end grain" piece or a "side/face grain" piece. Since you talk about "turning it round" and maybe "splitting" it, I'm thinking that you started out turning a log like a spindle. That went well using a spindle roughing gouge. Then, you tried to face the end, and things went wrong.

Have I misunderstood? (It wouldn't be the first time.)
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Jeff, are you trying to turn end grain this way? If so, you are very lucky to have not been injured.
    Len

I recommend Robos YouTube videos. He explains everything very well. The bowl gouge isn't the easiest tool to use so I feel your pain.
    Don

Why not use a parting tool--not so deep it tries to grab it away. (hurts yeah) Go in a bit and either double cut the slot with the parting tool or remove the overhang with a wide parting tool or a gouge. Slow going to be safe.

I get the impression he is trying to turn a section of log. Not a split blank.

if possible post pictures or better yet a video if ya can.

Jeff, There is a woodturner's club in your town of Greensboro http://ptwoodturners.org/ . I live in Asheboro, about 30 miles south of Greensboro, if you are interested let me know, you're welcome to come to my house for a "hands on".

Jay

Wendell, I see you are from St. Lucie County. I lived in PSL until about 1 1/2 years ago then moved to Asheboro, NC. I'm still a member of the TC woodturners Guild. I get down there a couple of times a year.

that's just the way I did it,,you have hit the nail on the head!!!!