Thread: 7 1/4 Ridgid Mitre saw review

7 1/4 Ridgid Mitre saw review

Got the new cordless mitre saw from Rigid the other day and was pretty happy with it although I have only done some test cuts so far to set it up. Out of the box it came with the mitre set perfectly and the bevel was so close I probably could have left it but I tweaked it a little. I still have to set the positive stop at 45 degrees but that should be pretty easy to do if it's even out. The one problem I had was that the left fence was not even close to square to the mitre table. In the past I would have been bothered by this but every mitre saw I have ever bought seems like the fence is either not co planer, not square or somehow bent. I took an .008 shim and placed it underneath the back side of the fence to bring it forward and it's now perfectly square and only took a few minutes. I do like the clamp that came with this saw. I never use these on any of my other saws because you have to screw them in lace and they are usually in the way and then you have to keep removing them. This one just has a knurled body and it slips into the hole and uses friction to stay. Real easy to take in and out. Would be nice if there was a place to store the clamp on the saw when not in use that was out of the way.

I am slightly disappointed in the LED light that shines the blade shadow on the cut line. When the blade isn't spinning you can see each individual tooth shadow but once it starts spinning that shadow isn't visible. You can get it really close but it's not perfect. I also am not crazy about these crappy arrow pointers for the scale. Not sure who thought they were better then a clear plastic piece with a red line on it but there not. The little bit of test cutting I did showed that the dust collection on this saw is absolutely terrible but I haven't tried hooking my vacuum up to it yet to see how that does. For doing trim I think this saw is going to be even better then my Makita ls7014 and is even lighter. I figure if nothing else I got another nice 5 amp hour battery and the saw will surely be good for rough framing and general saw use while being super portable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keith micinski; 11-24-2016 at 6:16 PM.

Just found out even though almost all of the small vacuums in the ridgid line have an 1 7/8 hose diameter the dust collection port on the saw is actually 1 1/2. That's pretty disappointing having to have an adapter but sliding the larger hose over the dust port did help with the dust collection but it still wasn't as good as I hoped for.

Guess the specs on there web site are wrong and it's actually 1 1/4 luckily Home Depot has an adapter set for 8 bucks so at least that's not to bad.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 11-25-2016 at 9:40 AM.