Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the winter: Sharpening your ice scraper.

And why do they strap tanks on their backs and jump into shark infested water? Must be some kind of death wish!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    And why do they strap tanks on their backs and jump into shark infested water? Must be some kind of death wish!!!!!
    A friend of mine used to say that the only advantage of being underwater in a steel cage when a shark attacks is that no one can tell that you've just peed in your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Remote starting is a great invention. I wonder if you question your decision to make your garage into a wood shop when you are outside at 10 below in a 30 mph wind scraping ice. For that mater why would anyone strap boards to their shoes and jump off a cliff? Just things I think about when I'm nice and warm inside my house being retired.
    Jim
    Repeat after me:
    "This is my garage. This is my shop. This is for parking. This is for fun."
    "This is my garage. This is my shop. This is......" (repeat until Spring thaw)
    --from Fred Stanley's classic film noir "Full Metal Rabbet"

Yes George, I will testify on your behalf that it snows in Virginia. It sure was a mess this past January when I was in Williamsburg for the 18th century furniture conference. With my all wheel drive sedan and the experience of NH winter driving it sure was entertaining watching you local folks deal with the snow, freezing rain, and the ice. Actually the truth was that it was frightening to watch. The upside of the mess was that driving home on I-95 past DC and Baltimore was a breeze with almost zero traffic on the interstates and I made record time.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Yes George, I will testify on your behalf that it snows in Virginia. It sure was a mess this past January when I was in Williamsburg for the 18th century furniture conference. With my all wheel drive sedan and the experience of NH winter driving it sure was entertaining watching you local folks deal with the snow, freezing rain, and the ice. Actually the truth was that it was frightening to watch. The upside of the mess was that driving home on I-95 past DC and Baltimore was a breeze with almost zero traffic on the interstates and I made record time.
    If you think that's bad you should come visit Tahoe or Mammoth during a serious storm. Coastal Californian tourons (though I guess I'm one of them now as I only spend about 20 days/yr up there these days) and snow do not mix well.

For added excitement California doesn't allow road salting, only sand. I've had to put chains on both our Subaru and my 4WD truck during really bad storms when the roads sheet over with ice. Fortunately the tourists mostly cower inside when that happens. The ones that don't end up in snowbanks in short order.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-29-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    The main office where I once worked was located on the Hill in DC (my ofc was in North Dakota). Our DC office manager said it took her 35 minutes to drive to work except for on snow days. Then she and everyone else who were from northern tier states had a really easy drive. On those days it took her 7 minutes to drive in.
    Last edited by Bruce Haugen; 11-29-2016 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Typo

The trouble with people in Va. is that they are not used to snow enough to know how to drive in it when it DOES happen!! When we get a real bunch,there are a lot of wrecks.

Blog Entries
    Most of my life was spent in the San Francisco area. It almost never snowed there. I do not consider my driving skills any better than average. It seems when we do have snow here in southern Washington there are a lot of people who grew up here with no idea how to drive in snow when there are other people on the road.

It is kind of like rain to make the nut behind the wheel come loose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The trouble with people in Va. is that they are not used to snow enough to know how to drive in it when it DOES happen!! When we get a real bunch,there are a lot of wrecks.
    It's not that much better in metro Minnesota, George. It seems that everyone forgets how to drive for the first few weeks of snow season, and worse, they seem to think that if they have a 4wd or awd vehicle, they can stop on a dime.

Blog Entries
    and worse, they seem to think that if they have a 4wd or awd vehicle, they can stop on a dime.
    Yes, I recall an encounter with one such tick bit yahoo. He did actually stop on a dime. Unfortunately that dime was in the glove box of the car he plowed into.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    tick bit yahoo
    Love it Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Unfortunately that dime was in the glove box of the car he plowed into.

jtk
    Spoken like a true Firesign Theater devotee, Rocky!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Repeat after me:
    "This is my garage. This is my shop. This is......" (repeat until Spring thaw)
    --from Fred Stanley's classic film noir "Full Metal Rabbet"
    Hey Malcolm
    I didn't know snow happened in Texas. I thought it just blew through until it hit the Rockies. Now sand piled up 2 feet deep, I can believe that!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    The main office where I once worked was located on the Hill in DC (my ofc was in North Dakota). Our DC office manager said it took her 35 minutes to drive to work except for on snow days. Then she and everyone else who were from northern tier states had a really easy drive. On those days it took her 7 minutes to drive in.
    i grew up there. The traffic circles were the most fun. It looked very much like the bumper car arena at the amusement park. I could watch for hours in a nice warm Capitol Transit bus going to and from school.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    It's not that much better in metro Minnesota, George. It seems that everyone forgets how to drive for the first few weeks of snow season, and worse, they seem to think that if they have a 4wd or awd vehicle, they can stop on a dime.
    Indeed. The worst snow/ice drivers of all are the inexperienced ones with AWD/4WD.

Back in the old days before antilock brakes transfer-case 4WD actually did help a bit with stopping as it guaranteed that the front and rear ends would rotate at the same speed, which meant that you could pump a bit more aggressively and not have to worry as much about the rear end swinging around etc. Those brain cells are now completely useless though.

In a mostly-RWD vehicle like a truck 4WD/AWD still helps with avoidance since you can "drive out" of some situation where you'd otherwise end up plowing along in a straight line.