View Poll Results: How often do you check your car's oil level?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every week

5 9.26%
  • Every month

7 12.96%
  • Every few months

20 37.04%
  • Never

22 40.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often you you check the oil level on your car?

How often you you check the oil level on your car?

My last question about missing an oil change got me to thinking about this one.

I was partner in a transportation business for 16 years. Ran 135 vehicles and our drivers checked oil daily. Personally, I am terrible about checking it. However, I pay attention to the driveway for spots showing I have a leak. I have my oil changed religiously at 6000 miles, plus or mines 2K....guess I am not too religious on my oil. Almost an atheist on it. I have gotten very lazy in fact.

The poll doesn't have a category for 'every trip' as that is what is absolutely necessary for my '86 Range Rover. I don't look for spots on the driveway - it's more like a slick in the driveway... I change the filter but specific oil changing is unnecessary. Cheers!
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I voted never but technically I measure the drain. Even after an extended drain interval none of our cars "burn" more than 8 ounces 2 hold 5 qts and 1 holds 6.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I also voted never. Are vehicles are both less than 4 years old, and get regularly scheduled oil changes.
    In the last 25 years, I've really only checked the oil on vehicles with over 150,000 miles.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    I also voted never. Are vehicles are both less than 4 years old, and get regularly scheduled oil changes.
    In the last 25 years, I've really only checked the oil on vehicles with over 150,000 miles.
    +1. Never here too. My Tundra is coming up on 16 yrs, and I have never personally checked oil levels. I have the oil changed @ ~5000 miles and have always heard that the oil was full and in excellent condition. I could easily push that to 7500 miles but old habits die hard. I think the newer motors are so much better engineered and the motor oils themselves are much better than back in the 80's and 90's, I doubt I will ever again check oil levels. Same with transmissions.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

On my old car I checked it with every gas tank fill. But that was a SL1 Saturn, the oil control rings were notorious for gumming up on those engines. Using synthetic oil helped, mine burned about 1.5 quarts of oil between changes.

On my new car I check it every month along with the tires and other under the hood things. Then again with my new car I went from a 16 year old Saturn to a 12 year old minivan. The minivan get its oil changed twice a year because of the short trips it makes. I don't drive far anymore.

-Tom

Not as often as I should.

I think its important on high mileage vehicles. Once you determine the motor is using oil I think you need to check weekly.

If you don't check the oil, measure the amount of oil when its changed. I do this by refilling the old quarts. If the motor is using more than 25% between changes, then you need to start checking weekly.

If you have your oil changed by someone else, then check it the day you bring it in.

BTW I talked to a guy who was a Boeing engineer and also worked for Pratt and Whitney. He told me oil does not break down it just gets dirty.

I quit changing at 3K and went to 5K intervals. I think the filter is more important than the oil buy the best.

Finally, service on farm tractors and diesel semi's is done by hours, not miles. I have a friend who was a Master Chief he has an hour meter in in truck and changes the oil every 100 hours. I think this makes more sense than miles.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

BTW I talked to a guy who was a Boeing engineer and also worked for Pratt and Whitney. He told me oil does not break down it just gets dirty.

Hopefully this guy was misquoted or was referring to a unique, specific application.

Oil will breakdown and significantly lose its ability to perform when exposed to high temperatures. The longer the exposure, the greater the effect - even if the oil is kept clean.

If not, then why do some engines/applications require external oil coolers?
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

The Hemi in my Grand Cherokee Summit is known to use a little oil, so I do check it about half-way between scheduled changes by mileage and add what's needed to bring it back to where it should be. I clicked monthly on the poll because there wasn't a better option, but it's more like every two months or so based on my usage pattern.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The car tells me when the oil is low or needs to be changed. Why bother checking it?

Blog Entries
    I only check it when I change it.

Watch the pressure gauge and it will let me know if it is low or getting old.

Old oil drops 5 or 10 lbs of pressure.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My car notifies me 1,000 miles before the change is due and at the mileage 7,500. I checked when I got it every month. Now, I largely check only when going for a longer trip. It has never needed a touch-up.

My wife and son's cars are checked monthly.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

In the old days, engines would start to burn oil, especially when the intake valve guides wore to the point where oil could be sucked through.

But in modern engines - and with modern oil - you just don't see that kind of wear. If cared for, engines go 200,000+ miles with no major overhauls.

I never check my oil between oil changes now days. In the old days, I checked it every time I put gas in the car.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I rarely check the oil. I am amazed at the improvement in cars over the years. They start in cold weather, get better gas mileage, use less oil and do not rust.