Thread: B&S JUst Check and Add Engines

B&S JUst Check and Add Engines

About two years ago, B&S came out with engines which you NEVER change the oil. Just check it and add as needed. Anybody have any experience with one? Would be awfully hard for me to not change oil seasonally. I may have such an engine on a mower I rescued from dumpster last week.

Makes you wonder why this mower is in the junkyard already!?!

I think B-S says it all.

You found a mower with a two year old engine in the dumpster already?

For what it's worth, I got rid of an 18 year old Toro with a B&S motor, and I never changed its oil. The reason I got rid of it is I gave up trying to keep the front wheel drive working. Engine ran fine.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    About two years ago, B&S came out with engines which you NEVER change the oil. Just check it and add as needed. Anybody have any experience with one? Would be awfully hard for me to not change oil seasonally. I may have such an engine on a mower I rescued from dumpster last week.
    My previous 20+ y.o. push mower died a couple-three years back, so I ended up getting one of these no oil-change marvels. I can't abide by that, so I do change the oil - have to turn the mower upside down and drain the oil via the fill tube. A PITA, but it works. I will say that I love how easy the one I have starts - 1-2 pulls is all that is needed most of the time. Worst case ever for # of pulls was 5-6.

Blog Entries
    I think they are designed to leak just enough to keep up with pollutants. You top them off and they automatically apply an "oil change" evenly across your lawn.

It's just marketing catching up to reality. 99% of people never change the oil in their lawn mowers, but at least half of them probably feel bad about it. So you create a new "feature", the new "no oil change" model, the vast majority still don't change the oil, but now the ones who felt bad about it don't have to, so they will buy your model.

I will fess up to using mowers for 15-20 years between oil changes. None of them have ever gone to the junkyard due to an engine failure, so I don't even feel very bad about it.