Thread: Why don't all powered hand tools come with cases?

Why don't all powered hand tools come with cases?

I bought another angle grinder when I realized I wouldn't be getting mine back from a former teammate. I found out he had moved.

Bought a vs 4.5" Makita. I looked at a couple and thought mine came with a case, when it must have been a different model. It isn't a huge deal, but with tools like this that go all over the house, garage and yard, I like to have a carrying case. I know its cheaper for the manufacturer not to supply one, but I think its a little ridiculous. Especially when the tool is supposed to be one of their better models. Even if they sell them separately, I'm not going to pay the extra. Geez, Milwaukee includes those nice metal cases with some of their tools.

I was going to put together a quick case tonight out of ply, but then remembered we would be going to the borg tomorrow, so I'll probably just pick up a cheap 16" plastic toolbox. Ugh.

Rant over. Resuming quasi-normal behavior any minute now...

Gary, I bought a new belt sander this week without a case but I am glad because I am running out of room to put all those cases. Some of my tools stay in the case when I don't use them and they stay cleaner but its a pain to take them out each time you need them. Congrats on the new angle grinder. Be careful, it may bite! I had a friend do serious damage to his thigh using a grinder without the guard.
    Lynn J. Sonier

I would rather they not come with cases, I feel guilty about throwing them out but I never put the tool back in the case once it is at the shop and the cases just take up needed space, I store mine in drawers or shelves.
    David

Usually when packed with a case they cost a little more which is understandable.

I just got another new PC router, about 20.00 cheaper than normal, from the bay, and it came with no case. I never needed a case for a router anyway.

I do use some of my cases, like drills, when going to a job site.
    But most of mine fill up a huge unused shelf in the back of the shop.
    Every once in a while I have to pitch some of them out. Only the plastic ones though. Never a metal one.

Other than the Systainers which "make sense" to me, I reall don't prefer the cases that most power tools come in. Why? They are so inconsistant in size and shape and hard to store together. In fact, I have a bunch of them upstairs above the shop that I haven't decided whether to keep or chuck...curves just don't stack well!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

bags

Milwaukee at their web site have asked the case or bag on a forum type on many occasions. They at least are considering those options. Harry

Kinda a mixed bag for me. I like the metal cases, not the plastic ones. Plastic seems kinda cheap and they are usually much larger than they need to be.
    Dennis

Some of my less used (non shop based tools) such as my hammer drill and framing nailer stay in their cases until needed. Most of the tools I use in my shop do not. I did use many of them when I moved a couple years ago. Because of that, I just can't bring myself to throw them all out even though they just take up space.
    I would gladly pay slightly less for the same tool minus case. I'll include systainers in that even though I do use some of mine (not all for their intended tool).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

5 Gallon Bucket w/Lid

Hi All,

For tools that don't come with a case or a useless case that doesn't have room for needed accessories I use a bucket. The grinder talked about here needs the wrench to change wheels (except for metabo with the quick nut), wheels, and a wire brush wheel. The bucket also gives you a place to sit and is easy to carry. You can also put other tools in it that complement what you use the tool for most.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

We had this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9947 on a similar topic a little over a year ago.

Before I got my cabinets built I used the cases to store all my tools in and felt the way you do when one didn't come with one so I understand what you mean. Now I find myself having my tools stored in the drawers for most. Still a few are stored in cases such as my angle griner and recip saw. Those are the kind of thing I like to take with me somewhere it is nice to have a case. You could get a tool bag on sale... just a thought. While refitting my shop with some new tools, some of those came in worthless cases anyway, the Dewalt DW 618 Router case is no help, the stuff bangs around in the case. Craftsman makes some decent cases for their tools that fit the tools. Probably the biggest waste is the big huge hunk of plastic case that came with my cordless Ryobi drill driver, circular saw and light. Takes up a huge amount of space and I don't use it now. I bought a big bag to haul tools in when I am headed to someones house to work on something or for when toting around here. Anyway my .05.
    Corey