Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool and Ask This Old House

Festool and Ask This Old House

Has everyone else noticed how much Festool equipment Tom Silva is using these days? I've seen him use the cordless drill before, but tonight he had the circular saw and guide system, and the ROS with, I'm guessing because it was not visable, the Vac system hooked up to it. He did use a PC plunge router instead of a Festool unit during his floor repair segment, though. How long before we see Festool as a sponsor? Jim.

I think it is a real coup to ahve that frreee publicity. Tom SIlva is the most popular contractor there and on the airways in general. Drum roll please "Bob Marino is guilty of Tom having those tools." It wasnt just one visit but a whole bunch of them before Tom started using them. I dont think PC will relinquish the sponsorship bit so I think we will ahve to accept Tom using the tools because they are the best. It is noce to see.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

TOH magazine has had quite a few spreads in the past year or so that have had Festool tools visible. My only complaint with Tom's use of them is he never uses the dust collection, at least in the magazine pictures. But he did autograph the mag for me at a trade show on the page featuring the TDK drill not long after it was introduced. (I still need to build a shadow box for that magazine one of these days!)

I was going to mention Uncle Bob, but it appears that John beat me to it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the first issue of TOH magazine autographed by Tom. Wonder if that is worth anything.? I went in to my local lumber yard to buy a 2x4 and there he was by the register passing out the magazine. What was the chance he would be in a lumber store in Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas
    I think it is a real coup to ahve that frreee publicity. Tom SIlva is the most popular contractor there and on the airways in general. Drum roll please "Bob Marino is guilty of Tom having those tools." It wasnt just one visit but a whole bunch of them before Tom started using them. I dont think PC will relinquish the sponsorship bit so I think we will ahve to accept Tom using the tools because they are the best. It is noce to see.
    I recall a TOH episode a couple years ago when they first showed up: Tom did a short segment on them with "a local rep"...was that Bob?

Jim, in last night's episode, he had the hose hooked up to the sander, though the vacuum was not in visible range. Could it be that for the mag layouts, they were "lip sinking" and not really doing work, and no one thought about the authenticity of using the package? Just a thought. Jim.

What I found interesting is that he did not use the ATF55 for the plunge cut to remove the old flooring. Maybe he felt the nails to be the issue, still the same results could have been done.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I recall a TOH episode a couple years ago when they first showed up: Tom did a short segment on them with "a local rep"...was that Bob?
    Lee,

No, that was not me in California. This is me with them a couple of years back, introducing them to the tools

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bob m

Hey Bob....very nice pictures. Where were those taken? Is that Dickie's shop or one of the other brother's shops?

Keith

My claim to fame is that I got a spit-take out of Tom... he was getting ready to autograph one of the magazines, but I demanded to see his hands first ... to confirm that they had calluses ... that he did real work and wasn't just a pretty face with cue cards. He passed!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Hey Bob....very nice pictures. Where were those taken? Is that Dickie's shop or one of the other brother's shops?

Keith
    That was Dickie's shop. In the first picture you can see the back of his house, which was the subject of a TOS renovation after a major fire destroyed the first one.

Bob
    bob m

Bobm
    Where is the handsome picture of you at Las Vega with all Norm, Tom and others?
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    That was Dickie's shop. In the first picture you can see the back of his house, which was the subject of a TOS renovation after a major fire destroyed the first one.

Bob
    I didn't want to assume, but the second picture looked like what we saw on TOS. Pretty cool experience, for sure!!

Keith

Bob,
    Why is it you look like the least worked guy in that shop?
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Bob,
    Why is it you look like the least worked guy in that shop?
    John
    Because I was.

Bob
    bob m