Thread: Rustic Sideboard

Rustic Sideboard

Here is my latest project- Rustic Sideboard to go along with my Rustic table I recently finished.

The sideboard is all Ash wood with the exception of the drawer sides (Poplar) and bottoms (Birch ply)

Top is laminated and has breadboard ends.
    Shelf is laminated ash and dadoes were cut into each leg for support of the shelf.
    Legs are 3 laminated ash boards with 4 way tapers cut on the bottom below the shelf.
    Rustic Side board5 .JPGRustic Side board6 .JPGRustic Side board7 .JPGRustic Side board8 .JPGRustic Side board3 .JPGRustic Side board4 .JPGRustic Side board2 .JPG

Very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's pretty neat,Looks like some clean work.
    Thanks for sharing
    Aj

I saw a video on you tube on cutting tapered legs using a jointer.
    Well I gave it a try but it takes nerves of steel . My jointer has the segmented carbide cutters so it seemed like it was chipping out while I was cutting but the finish was fine.
    Scary for me but I liked the results.

I used mortise and tennons on the joinery but I am looking very hard at the dowelmax system for Christmas.
    Last edited by Gregory Carles; 11-25-2016 at 11:19 PM.

You do very nice work, Greg! I love ash.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Red face

Greg,

I love the piece!
    However---I think it would look nicer in a different room

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Greg,

I love the piece!
    However---I think it would look nicer in a different room

Bruce
    Bruce, that is my work shop/ basement.. LOL.. I have to put the finish on it before I move it to the final resting place which is my dining room.

Nice clean work. I'm interested how you dealt with seasonal wood movement where the breadboard ends fit to the top and those trim pieces on the sides of the lower shelf?

John

Very nice work! I love the clean lines!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Nice clean work. I'm interested how you dealt with seasonal wood movement where the breadboard ends fit to the top and those trim pieces on the sides of the lower shelf?

John
    Hi John, Thanks for the comment.
    The breadboard ends are held with biscuits and only glued in the middle so the edges can move with seasonal adjustments. When doing this as you know you need perfectly square stock when butting up the end grain. I love that saw-stop table saw. perfectly square cuts.