Thread: Beech bowls

Beech bowls

This is a pair of beech bowls, twice turned and finished with walnut oil. They are intended to be used although some beetle holes will limit how they are used. about 11" diameter (not including the handles)
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look great the handles are a nice touch.

Too bad about beetle holes. Nice bowls anyway.

I like them, they have a certain rustic look. The handles are a nice touch.

Very nice Dennis, they have that old world look to them 1thumb.gif
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-26-2016 at 1:41 PM. Reason: grammar
    Have fun and take care

They will hold gumbo--the rice will stop the holes. Love the old look also.

Just to show how little I know ... how were the handles formed?

Those are really cool looking. I have an idea about the handles but I too would like to know how you formed them. I would love to try something like that. Thanks!
    USMC '97-'01

I will have a go at explaining the handles, it is easier to do than to explain.
    Started with log sections longer than the diameter.
    Split in half lengthwise through the pith, don't remember whether I used a chainsaw or bandsaw on these two but either works.
    Lopped off the corners (bandsaw works great for this) leaving some length for handles.
    Screwed faceplate to flat surface and turn the outside and a tenon. Leave a ring of wood which will become the handles (this ring does not need to continue around the sides)
    Mount on chuck and turn the inside, if this is to be twice turned; it is better to trim the ring away from sides of bowl keeping handles on end grain before drying.
    After bowl is final shaped, I use a grinder with carbide grit wheel to rough carve the handles to shape.

A bowl with handles takes a little more sanding than a plain one but it is not difficult.

Thanks for the reply. That's more or less the process that I thought you'd say, but it does clarify a few things for me if I try this style. Much appreciated.
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    I will have a go at explaining the handles, it is easier to do than to explain.
    Started with log sections longer than the diameter.
    Split in half lengthwise through the pith, don't remember whether I used a chainsaw or bandsaw on these two but either works.
    Lopped off the corners (bandsaw works great for this) leaving some length for handles.
    Screwed faceplate to flat surface and turn the outside and a tenon. Leave a ring of wood which will become the handles (this ring does not need to continue around the sides)
    Mount on chuck and turn the inside, if this is to be twice turned; it is better to trim the ring away from sides of bowl keeping handles on end grain before drying.
    After bowl is final shaped, I use a grinder with carbide grit wheel to rough carve the handles to shape.

A bowl with handles takes a little more sanding than a plain one but it is not difficult.
    It works pretty well to trim excess off bowl upside down on bandsaw and then do the grinding/sanding to finish. That was trick that Leo suggested several years back and it works.