Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 0766 down what to do what to do...

Grizzly 0766 down what to do what to do...

Had a break on my Grizzly 0766 that I never expected..Got done turning the outside of a future bowl and went to remove the face plate from the spindle..Had the pin threaded in the way I have many times,wrapped my arms around the wooden piece put some weight on it to pop it loose and then this happened..I have the pin but the broken casting part is somewhere in the shavings under the lathe..I will sift through it later..I'm pretty sure I can still use the lathe,but how do I go about getting this replaced or repaired..Bought it 3-4-16 is something like this covered by Grizzly?? Any input is appreciated..Thanks for your time..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grizzly has a one year warranty, so I doubt this is warranted. A repair would seem to require a replacement of the entire headstock casting. I am not familiar with your lathe, but generally speaking, I would think those holes are for indexing - not a spindle lock. Isn't there a spindle lock button?
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-25-2016 at 9:31 PM.

3. This has happened on other makes as well when the casting around the spindle holes gave way. If I were you, I would communicate with Grizzly, and send them some pics. They might have a spare headstock casting.......perhaps might be willing to swap out a new headstock for some reduced cost, since they would be getting yours back for parts......worth a try at least.

You can still use it as is, I would think.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

According to my Manual they are indexing holes also used as a spindle lock. I bought the lathe 3-4-16 9 months ago..I'm hoping it's covered..

Roger,have you seen it happen on other grizzlys?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Demler View Post
    Roger,have you seen it happen on other grizzlys?
    Not any G0766's, but Fred Belknap had it happen on his old G0698. One thing is that the faceplate can get stuck when it is over tightened on the initial mating with the spindle. I had the same thing happen on my former Craftsman 15" vs lathe, and broke the gear shaft, [gear driven, not belt driven] ruining the lathe. A good strap wrench comes in handy at times, and remember the force of the cutting will tighten the faceplate. I prefer using a chuck that I can get a wrench on the insert to remove. I have not had any problems with my 0698 or my 0766 with this type of thing.

Another tip might be to make a thin washer to fit between the shoulder of the spindle and the faceplate out of a piece of milk jug.

Thanks for the info Roger..Usually I can turn the pieces off by hand and this would have done the same.I reset the pin in a leftover not broken hole and it did come off as usual..I guess stuff happens once in awhile..I'll call Grizzly on Monday.

8. Sounds like you are still under warranty, so they should replace it for you.

It is still under warranty so Griz should replace it. You'll most likely get a complete new headstock (including motor, controller, etc.).

It is really surprising how it broke though. It is hard to imagine that with a 12-14 " bowl that you could have supplied enough force with your bare hands to cause the casting to break. I would be surprised if just grasping the turned bowl that you were applying anything more than perhaps 80 -100 foot pounds of force. There is no way that it should have been enough to cause the fracture. I'm wondering if the casting had a small crack/fracture perhaps from the drilling and tapping or from its original manufacture. Griz made that hole for the purpose that you used it for.

Let us know what Griz does to correct your problem.

I am not sure why I read the purchase date as 3-4-15, but I agree Grizzly will warrant it. Their customer service is excellent. My previous lathe - a Jet 1642-2 - and my current Laguna both have a separate spindle lock through a thicker part of the headstock casting. The Powermatic also does that, as do the new Grizzly models. That would seem to be a stronger option.

Brice I'm trying to find the broken piece in my shavings pile under the lathe..I wanna see if there is any clue as to why it broke...John,the manual says when putting on or taking off a faceplate to insert pin into the holes that broke out to hold the spindle.I will let you know what Grizzly says Monday.

Richard I had that happen on my new G0698. I was using a Talon chuck and it has a slightly smaller radius on the insert than the spindle. It would screw on but wouldn't completely set against the shoulder on the spindle. It was stuck good. In the process of getting it off I did just like yours. Grizzly refused to repair it because I was using an after market chuck(not theirs). The lathe was just weeks old, makes one feel kind of dumb, like I should have known the Talon chuck wouldn't work. I had used the Talon on another Grizzly lathe for a couple of years. Customer service words were "I'll take it to the man upstairs and call you back", I'm still waiting.
    I think you might have a good case as you were using the supplied faceplate and doing it as the manual stated. I kept the lathe for three years and used it using the other holes as a spindle lock. I sold the lathe at less than half price and bought a PM3520b. I understand Grizzly's decision but can't say I'm happy with them.
    Fred

Fred,thanks for the info...I'm hoping for the best..

14. Richard, one thing that might help in the future, when you get the new one is to take a file and cut down the diameter of the boss on the spindle so that the chuck insert will seat all the way back to the spindle shoulder......that will likely also prevent any future mishaps like this. That will make aftermarket chuck inserts fit well, and not make you dependent on Grizzly chucks alone. Most of us G0766 owners did that up front.

Richard,

To find the broken casting parts, you may have luck using a powerful magnet.

I always use the yellow plastic washer between the chuck/faceplate and the spindle. It's purpose is to keep the faceplate from getting stuck as tightly.

Good luck.