Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire air Pressure

Tire air Pressure

I was going to bring this up in the oil check thread but decided to start a new one for what I think is far more critical then checking oil and thats checking your tires air pressure. Its more troublesome to check 4 tires for air but way more important from a safety point. I think low air pressure is a major cause of accidents. I check mine about every 3 or 4 weeks on my car and almost always need a lb or 2 of air. On my Motorcycle Every week I pull into DT and have them check my tires and air. How often do you check your air?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    I keep an eye on the tires. If they all look same as they do when freshly filled I do not give it much thought.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I check tyres at least every week. I run pressures at the top end of the recommended range since all my driving is long distances on open roads. When I was about 19 I was told to do this by a tyre fitter in the outback after my car had just blown its second tyre in the space of a day. I have never lost a tyre since. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I was going to bring this up in the oil check thread but decided to start a new one for what I think is far more critical then checking oil and thats checking your tires air pressure. Its more troublesome to check 4 tires for air but way more important from a safety point. I think low air pressure is a major cause of accidents. I check mine about every 3 or 4 weeks on my car and almost always need a lb or 2 of air. On my Motorcycle Every week I pull into DT and have them check my tires and air. How often do you check your air?
    I give up - what is a DT?

My new Jeep makes it easy to monitor - a diagram on the console shows the pressure of each tire.

I understand underinflated tires also increase rolling resistance which increases fuel use.

With 64 tires here on 19 things monitoring and keeping them aired up is a constant effort, especially as offroad tires age. I keep compressors in three buildings with hoses on retractable reels.

JKJ

I have one car with the sensors in the tires and that is great. On my older car, I keep an eye on them and check before any longer drives. They are also checked when the tires are rotated.

I also check more often as the temperatures change in the fall. The colder conditions result in lower air pressure.

I don't see why you need to check them that frequently.

I check when I do oil changes, which is about every 4-5 months or before a long trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have one car with the sensors in the tires and that is great.
    The tire pressure sensors that I am familiar with on the cars today ONLY alert you to pressures that at way below the recommended pressures. They are not meant to replace checking the pressures with a tire pressure gauge.

Along with this the last time my truck was serviced the dealer noted that they had filled the tires to the manufacturer recommended pressures which were 5 lbs higher than what it said on the sticker on the vehicles door jamb. I found this interesting since the truck had the factory installed tires so it was not that the tires differed from the manufacturer installed tires. I always ran them at the higher pressure anyway.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

DT = discount tire i am guessing.

i check mine with chalk when i get them to find the best pressure. our volt gets about 40 psi and my truck 38. both higher than the pressure on the door jamb, but also different tires than the cars came with. make a nice wide line of chalk across the tire and back/pull up on a level street. see if the chalk is evenly wore or more in the center or edges. adjust to get it even. more if there is chalk left in the center, and less if there is chalk left on the outsides.

If you are losing that much pressure in a car tire you have a leak that needs to be fixed.

I check pressure every few months and it almost never varies in the cars. The TPMS system lights a light at about 3 lb under the recommended pressure in my Mini. I check the truck and trailer whenever I leave for a long trip. They are set to 80 lbs and 4 of 10 tires drop 4-5 lb over the course of a month, the rest hold much better. Thats about 25 lb over what the door jamb says, but I run at close to the maximum allowed weight, so pump the tires up to their max capacity.

Static tire pressure varies by the season. Usually in the fall the pressure is lower than it would be static in July at least in the northern climates - northeast Ohio. This being said you should check the pressure as the seasons change.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Don't forget to check the spare..... We ran over a nail in New Mexico, and the spare was flat.... My bad...
    But, we carry a 12 volt inflater, and were able to keep enough air in it to get to a tire store ....

The system they use on Mazda (we have two Mazdas) only alerts you if one tire is different than the rest. If they are all low you get no warning. So I check once a month or so.
    Sad thing is, they frequently need air. Don't know why that is.

But how often do you check the pressure in your spare! My Mazda CX9 is mounted under the car. I checked it after 2 years and found it had half the pressure. I wonder how long it would have taken the little compressor we carry to pump it up to 60psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have one car with the sensors in the tires and that is great.
    I agree. My car has the tire pressure sensors and I get lots of warning if the pressure goes down. Way better than driving on a tire with low pressure because you didn't notice it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The tire pressure sensors on my Grand Caravan seem to alert when the pressure is about 10% below normal. I never remember to fill the tires before winter and I usually get a low tire pressure alert once it gets real cold for a few days.

My motor home has add-on sensors that need the tires set to the correct pressure before screwing the sensors on. The display shows the pressure within a few PSI. I was surprised that this year none of the tires had lost any pressure after sitting for months.

Contrary to George's experience, on my Acura, I can see the individual tire pressures whenever I like. I don't need to wait for a low tire warning. I can actually watch the pressures change as the tires heat up while driving.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON