Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Planer/Jointer combination

Hammer Planer/Jointer combination

Does anyone have any input on a Hammer Planer/Jointer combination? I am looking at getting the HammerŪ A3-31. Instead of a separate Grizzly Jointer and Planer.

Thanks

Do you have or want to use he space for separate machines? What separate griz machines would you buy? I have a 12 jointer dj30 and a 20 planer dc580. 12 jointer is nice but i like to plane +12 glue ups so 12 plane is small in the money you are considering to me. I have space though. Plus i would not want to do all the cranking in converting from jointer to planer. You drop that table far down each time. That would get annoying to me knowing i had room and service and dc for both.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 11-26-2016 at 7:56 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

As Mike stated, winding the table up and down when switching modes is a chore, but that's about the only negative. I have the C3-31 combo and the A3-31 is essentially part of that. If you go for the A3, the main benefits are jointer width at low cost (most standalone 4HP 12" jointers cost an arm and a leg), quick change from jointer to planer (apart from the chore), repeatable planer thickness (buy the dial indicator to ensure this), snipe is not an issue, dust collection is excellent, powerful, quiet (as long as you order the Silent Power add on) and small footprint. If the tables aren't long enough its easy to use add on tables.

One add-on benefit is the potential to use a slot mortise accessory

SMC Search will bring you many many threads about the A3-31, and about combo machines in general. From here, go up one level to the Woodworking And Power Tools forum. Search is at the upper right.

Blog Entries
    I have the A3-31 and could not be happier. People complain about cranking the table up and down when switching modes which I don't understand. It literally takes no more than 15 seconds to do either way up or down.

I have a Minimax FS41 classic (16"). It doesn't require you to lower the planer table when switching to jointer mode. I believe the FS30 classic (12") is the same. PM me if you want a sales contact. I'm not sure how these machines compare with Hammer machines, price-wise.

Hi Kevin, I'm on my second A3-31 and couldn't be happier.

I suggest you purchase it with the carbide insert head (Silent Power).

I have the metric height gauge on my planer, really love it, no measuring required.

I added the table extension brackets to the jointer infeed and outfeed, and the planer outfeed.

I use the planer outfeed extension all the time as the planer is so fast that often on short pieces it was on the floor before I could pick it up :-)

It's a great machine, you'll love it.............Rod.

I have the a3 31 and love it. I like the spiral cutter block. Quiet and very good finish quality on everything.

Table cranking is quick. Annoying but quick.

All I can say about it is Ive played with them in person and am currently saving to purchase an A3-31 myself. I love Hammer/Felder products. Top notch products.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I do not have any experience with the Hammer unit, but I'm a believer when it comes to J/P combos...they provide great capacities with a reduced footprint, allowing many woodworkers to enjoy the benefits of a wide jointer (along with decent thicknessing capability) in typical shop spaces that just cannot handle "big separates". I happen to own a MiniMax J/P combo and it was a good decision for me. In fact, it was the first piece of Euro machinery I bought.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I used to own a CF531 which was a full combo, I have now switched to a Felder jointer/planer with Powerdrive and saw/shaper setup, and I don't think it takes more than 30 seconds to switch between jointer and planer mode. With a little ingenuity it is not to difficult to rig up a motorized system to avoid cranking the planer table up and down by hand, or you could upgrade to a Felder AD with Powerdrive.
    As for the choice between Grizzly and Hammer, they are both well respected brands where one is built in China and one in Austria - take your pick.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    ...I don't think it takes more than 30 seconds to switch between jointer and planer mode...
    That's my experience, too...changeover is very fast and mine is completely manual in that respect. Maybe a minute at most. And rarely do I find the need to switch back and forth with any frequency. I face joint in batches and anything after that is thicknessing most of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had the A3-31 for six months with the metric wheel and couldn't be happier with the purchase. Get the spiral cutter block. Its quiet with a very good quality finish on everything. Skip their mobile base and get these for easy movement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need to enlarge two existing holes in the base and drill two new ones, but I can spin my machine on a dime and ratchet it quickly down for full stability.

"Table cranking is quick. Annoying but quick." agreed!

Michael

I got rid of Grizz separates a few years ago to purchase an A3-41 due to space challenges...And now that I have more space I would make the same choice.