Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish for maple workbench?

My workbench sits next to the gas fired water heater and furnace, so rather than slather it with flammable material or haul it outside, I use Brian's finish method...a hand plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    See my reply to this similar thread- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hing-the-bench

It's a recipe for a linseed oil, pure gum turpentine, and beeswax finish. Reading it over, I said I use 2oz of beeswax. I'm thinking even more than that. I'm not one to measure stuff- I just add until it looks right. The more beeswax you add, the thicker the mix, and also the waxier the finish. The wax repels all glues, even West System epoxy.
    Thanks, I like that idea. I keep beehives and have a large excess of beeswax awaiting for purpose.

JKJ

John, you could always send me some of the "excess" beeswax whenever you wish. 1 or 2 pounds would be great.

Let me know how much and shipping to 38826.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've got some of everything. My main assembly table is the melamine outfeed table for the saw. Nothing sticks to it for long. The main bench has BLO and the occasional paste wax. My guitar bench is naked wood since I want to avoid any contaminants. Most of the time I use a towel or bathmat under the work. sh