Thread: Spokeshave & travisher designs.

Blog Entries

Spokeshave & travisher designs.

Peter Galbert has a number of YouTube videos, which explain the design and use of the travishers he makes. I want post them here as they are promoting a specific product. In his original video he compares an old style wood spoke shave to a Stanley #151. He demonstrates that the two screws on the top of the 151 allow the user to adjust the depth of cut. Then he demonstrates how an older style spokeshave can be used with a “rolling cut” to increase or decrease the depth of cut during the cut. Peter explains that this feature of the older shaves has to do with a “gentle curve” in the sole of the older shaves.

For some time now I have been trying to find or make a shave that is somewhere between available travisher and spokeshave designs. This "spokeshave" would have gull wing handles, similar to a travisher but have a medium to small blade with a gentle curve in the sole that could fit down into chair seats without the handles getting in the way. I think a spokeshave like this would allow me to do major parts of the carving of chair seats with the one tool. Such a tool should be able to make heavy or light cuts even during a single cut.

Travishers can be quite difficult to make, due to the curved blades. My efforts to convince Glenn at WoodJoy (WJ) to make a travisher or gull wing spokeshave have been fruitless so far. I have a couple WJ kits I am trying to modify. I believe having a source for blades and the set screws to hold the blade in place is important, which is why I am using the WJ kits.

I am hoping to get some guidance on this project from guys like Lowell, who has posted about a tool he bought that was custom made. I imagine guys like George and Derek with tool building experience may have ideas too. Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-26-2016 at 1:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here are three examples: Top is a Galbert travisher design I bought from Elia Bizzarri. It is a little different than the ones most people are familiar with. The bottom two shaves are WoodJoy(WJ) 2" shave parts that I bought from WJ. As the viewer can see I cut the "handles" off the top 2" shave with the compass sole/rest. My current plan is to remove the sole from the lower shave and grind a gentle curve into the surface. If I can get the sole working like I want then I plan to remove the "handles" and attach new handles shaped more like the handles on the top travisher.

It is the method for attaching new "gull wing" handles on the lower shave that I am the most concerned about. My current idea is to set metal threaded screws in the base, after removing the "handles". This would give me the ability to change out various handles. I might emphasize that these "handles" will not be gripped but used as feelers and guides for steering the spokeshave.

Shave project.jpg

I should add that the handles on the two WJ shaves above were handles Glenn rejected for use on his production shaves that I bought to do this project. Please do not assume that these are typical of Glenn's work.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-26-2016 at 2:11 PM.