Thread: Carter and Son or Sheffield Leyland turning tools

Carter and Son or Sheffield Leyland turning tools

Has anyone heard of these tools? Any opinions of them? I am looking at them for a bowl gouge (to round out my current "stable" of one) and a spindle gouge and maybe a scraper.

Thanks.
    Paul

Paul, I have a couple of the Carter and Son bowl gouges. They don't hold an edge as well as I would like. I think you would be better off going with a Thompson or D-Way bowl gouge. Good luck with your choice.
    Joe

D-Way gouges are the best I've used. Parabolic flute and colbolt steel make a great combination.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Another vote for D-Way and Thompson tools.

I have Thompson and D Way. Mostly I use the Thompson because I like the flute design a bit better, but need to play around with the D Way more and grind them to my specs. Edge holding is identical. Edge holding on the Carter should be identical as well since they are made from the same M42HSS that D Way uses.

robo hippy

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to buy locally, so I am stuck with what I can buy at two local retailers. Fortunately, one of them is Lee valley. So I guess I should ask if anyone has an opinion on

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,43175&p=20261 or
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...164,43175&ap=1 or
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,330&p=49138 this last one I would have to make a handle, but that's no big deal.

I should add, I have a decent bowl gouge with a grind that makes it difficult to get into deep bowls. Perhaps I don't need another gouge. I could just grind the back a bit.

as I've commented on other threads, I don't use credit cards. So I'm limited to where I can buy tools.

thanks for the help.
    Paul

I don't have any experience with the 3 links you shared. I have Thompson, DWay and Carter..........they all perform well when sharp.

You may want to check with both Dave and Doug. I suspect even with shipping their tools might be cheaper.

The Crown Ellsworth is a very good gouge, (parabolic flute and powder technology. It is sold by Lee Valley. I rate it a very close second to either of the top too.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Henry Taylor makes great tools P&N I had problems with . Try Island Woodcrafts in Comox Very nice folks to deal with ( I`m from Victoria too )

Dave Schweitzer at D Way is closer to you, and if you have friends in the US, you can ship to their place, then drive down and pick them up duty free... Dave is a wonderful person to visit as well, and he isn't too far from you.

I have used nothing but the M42 from Dave, and V10 from Doug for some years now. I recently got an M2 HSS Glen Lucas gouge to see how that particular flute design works. First thing I noticed was how quickly it went dull.

I am not sure about what Oneway carries for gouges, but I think they have some of the harder steels, and they are Canadian. I do have one smaller parabolic fluted gouge that I like.

robo hippy

Reed, until I purchased a Thompson bowl gouge my go-to gouge was a Oneway Mastercut with a very wide V flute. I believe the steel is M2. It doesn't hold an edge anywhere near as long as the Thompson, although it is a good gouge in its own right. Just doesn't stay sharp all that long. I like it for roughing green blanks.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Reed, until I purchased a Thompson bowl gouge my go-to gouge was a Oneway Mastercut with a very wide V flute. I believe the steel is M2. It doesn't hold an edge anywhere near as long as the Thompson, although it is a good gouge in its own right. Just doesn't stay sharp all that long. I like it for roughing green blanks.
    Oneway uses M4 on their Mastercut series. Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

The first 'cuts 5 times longer' gouge I had was from Packard. It has maybe an inch of flute left. I was fairly sure the Oneway was similar. I do remember with the Packard that I used it for a considerable time, and then went back to my Ellsworth M2 signature gouge, and was astounded at how quickly it went dull. The only M2 tools I use any more are my NRSs (negative rake scraper), and one BOB (bottom of bowl) tool. Hmm, maybe I need some V10 NRSs....

robo hippy