Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to the Trend Airshield Pro

Alternatives to the Trend Airshield Pro

I'm seriously considering a combination PAPR/IP faceshield like the Trend Airshield Pro. However, there are a few things about the Trend I find difficult to stomach. Are there any other viable options at a comparable price point?

There's one unit I've found that's particularly interesting, the Axminster APF10, made in the UK by JSP Ltd:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...pirator-101809

JSP sells it as the Powercap:

https://www.jsp.co.uk/link/en/respir...aeadac&cat=JSP

There's a lot to like about these. It's lighter than the Trend, uses Lithium Ion batteries and comes with a smart charger. The downside is that as far as I can tell, they're only available from the UK. I buy electronic parts from Europe all the time and I've got no problem buying from Axminster, but supplies and support can get messy when there's no US-based presence. Anyone know of a source in North America?

I've looked at the 3M PAPR units, but they're more than I can afford. And I'd really prefer something self-contained.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

There is the 3-M system though as with most 3-M products the quality is high and so is the price. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...espirator.html
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

3. I like the looks of the Powercap you linked to.....I wonder however, since it comes from the UK, how pricey and how convenient getting repacement filters would be?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Depending on your personal comfort level, consider posting a 'looking to buy' message on the classifieds here. That's where I found mine for about 60% of new and haven't had a problem with it though I did buy a Tencharger 'smart charger' on-line for about $8 or so. I've seen others post asking for one and it seems there's almost always one available from someone who doesn't care for the weight, moving on from turning, or knows someone etc. Either way, whichever of the 'powered' systems you go with you'll be glad you did. I used a very high end paper respirator and face shield for a couple of years but couldn't believe the difference in air quality once I got my Trend. Took a bit of fiddling to get it seated on my noggin correctly but it has definitely been worth it. Good luck...

Products made for use in England are run on 230 volts ,wouldn't this be problamitic for use in the US?

How about this one from Axminster?
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...pirator-101809

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Furness View Post

That's the same one I mentioned in the original post.

D.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Products made for use in England are run on 230 volts ,wouldn't this be problamitic for use in the US?
    The JSP/Axminster unit comes with an international power supply with interchangeable plugs. Just snap off the UK plug, snap on the US plug, and you're good-to-go.

D.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I like the looks of the Powercap you linked to.....I wonder however, since it comes from the UK, how pricey and how convenient getting repacement filters would be?

I received a quote from Axminster overnight. My quote request included:

1 AFP-10 Evolution Powered Respirator
    1 Spares Pack (one pair of filter cartridges, ten prefilter pads, 10 peel-off visor overlays)
    1 pack of 10 prefilter pads

Including shipping to Arkansas, at today's exchange rate the total quote is $348.62. Not bad at all!

As far as replacement filters go, it's likely that there's a filter cartridge available in the US that will fit--it uses a pretty standard looking turn-lock style. The prefilter pads look very standard, and that's the part you need to change most often. Worst case is ordering from Axminster periodically, and their prices are quite good for this unit's supplies compared to the Trend Airshield Pro. The filters, for example, are about half the price of the Trend replacements.

D.

I shaved my head.

If my arithmetic is correct, looks like the shipping charge was 42 bucks & change. Maybe that's good but sounds a little bit high to me. If I was in the market, sounds like a good alternative. Only downside I see is a replacement or extra battery is $110.00 at current exchange rates.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

11. Dan, when/if you get this Powercap PAPR, how about posting a review for us. I use the Trend Airshield Pro, and like it pretty good, and have gotten a smart charger rigged up for the batteries. I do find the replacement filters a bit pricey, but we only get one pair of lungs, so.......

I am interested in your perceptions, especially the comfort over time, the amount of air flow, and I do like the idea of Lithium Ion batteries instead of Ni-cad.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    If my arithmetic is correct, looks like the shipping charge was 42 bucks & change. Maybe that's good but sounds a little bit high to me. If I was in the market, sounds like a good alternative. Only downside I see is a replacement or extra battery is $110.00 at current exchange rates.
    The shipping is definitely not a bargain, but when you consider that it's shipping via air from the UK, it's not outrageous. I've done enough international shipping that I didn't flinch. If you look at the overall price, it's not a bad deal compared with other options. That said, I wish there were a distributor on our side of the pond.

The battery is actually a little less expensive, $92.18 according to Axminster's site when using USD as the currency selection. That's not cheap, but not horribly out of line with comparable (custom) Lithium Ion batteries. That said, I'm not thinking of buying a spare up front. With a smart charger, you can leave the thing on the charger indefinitely without damage, so the only serious need for a second battery is if you're turning for over 8 hours at a time--which I'm not.

D.

I shaved my head.

Looking at the Axminster one, I find it rather expensive, also the pre filters and filters as they are a consumable that keeps coming back, didn’t see a overlay for the shield.

Then one thing that I don’t like of the way it is laid out is the air intake right up front where there is more dust and wood particles than in the back where the intake is on my Trend Pro, I don’t think I would trade that one for the axminster one, just IMO.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    Suggestions, anyone?
    Dan,

My suggestion is a little lower tech. I have a Trend but don't use it much. Instead, for sanding I reach for one of these 3M respirators, depending on whether I want the eye protection. The full face respirator uses the same pink P100 particulate filters as show on the 1/2 face model (or any other cartridge filters as desired).

respirator.jpg respirator_full_face.jpg

I keep 4 or five of the 1/2 face models and two of the full face models. The filters are extremely good in removing fine dust. The full face model keeps dust out of the eyes. I don't know the impact rating, but it certainly looks sturdier than the Trend to me. As a bonus, it is great when I need to spray chemicals at the farm (with the appropriate cartridges) The 1/2 face model can be worn under a normal face shield. Light weight, easy to put on/off. I also use one when unloading and stacking hay.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Looking at the Axminster one, I find it rather expensive, also the pre filters and filters as they are a consumable that keeps coming back, didn’t see a overlay for the shield.

Then one thing that I don’t like of the way it is laid out is the air intake right up front where there is more dust and wood particles than in the back where the intake is on my Trend Pro, I don’t think I would trade that one for the axminster one, just IMO.
    Both have definite pros and cons.

The Axminster is substantially less than the Trend. Both units consume filters--have you priced a set of Trend filters? And Axminster does have a shield overlay.

I can see your point about the difference in air intake between the two. One big difference is that the Axminster only weighs 1.5 pounds, vs 2.2 pounds fro the Airshield Pro. Moving the motor and filters farther back would mess up the balance and require more weight added to the front to compensate.

An interesting note about filters: Trend uses a pair of mini-bag filters as the sole filtering element. Axminster's use of a more traditional filter with a prefilter is more efficient, and the pre-filter saves the more expensive main filter from dealing with larger particles. Those prefilters are fairly cheap, and can be cleaned and reused several times. That, and you're not locked into a single source for the prefilters.

There's a lot to like about both models. Frankly, if Trend announced today that they were upgrading to a Li-ion battery and smart charger, I'd likely buy the Airshield Pro just to bypass the potential hassle of dealing exclusively with overseas vendors. As it is, I'm still on the fence.

D.

I shaved my head.