Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Cyber Monday- well that went fast

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You WHAT? Those things are already a steal at $69 imo...
    LOL - I misread the regular price. Thought it said $99. Oh well, I was planning to buy them at regular price anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    LOL - I misread the regular price. Thought it said $99. Oh well, I was planning to buy them at regular price anyway.
    They're nice tools. You couldnt go wrong. I have them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    They're nice tools. You couldnt go wrong. I have them.
    Same here. I even have two of the 14 tpi rip dovetails (one filed rip, the other for playing around with "hybrid" toothing).

For once I resisted buying stuff I didn't know I needed until they were on sale.

For me purchasing with an ever devaluing currency, every dollar saved helps so the free shipping events are my friend. This year I decided to first test the purchase of a physical gift card to see if shipping applies. It doesn't so I was ready to NOT buy any tools but just a gift card.

If anyone is interested in German tools like Wera (for you Malcolm), the prices on Amazon Germany are often half that of any stateside retailer. For starters they won't charge you their VAT which is included in the retail price and the shipping is pretty cheap. This year for BF week, they offered a 20% discount on various tools and I was able to land (shipping, duties, taxes etc) the tools for exactly the same price as normal retail.

Lee Valley seems to have dropped the Wera line altogether now.

Ok enough babbling from me.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I bought bevel up smoother. Midnight comes early on the wet coast. As is my luck , I had recently bought a 4 1/2" bevel down, they were on sale,too The Wera Philips are great screwdrivers , maybe the best you can buy,however the Wera Robertson are only handled tent pegs.

I was online at 23h59 hitting refresh. I managed to score a BU smoother with the PMV11 iron! Took all the self discipline I had not to checkout my full shopping cart which had the rip tenon and the LA block.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Renaud View Post
    I was online at 23h59 hitting refresh. I managed to score a BU smoother with the PMV11 iron! Took all the self discipline I had not to checkout my full shopping cart which had the rip tenon and the LA block.
    The force is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Renaud View Post
    I guess it's better than participating in the Black Friday "running of the idiots" at the local Wal-Mart?

Perhaps one day Lee Valley would consider announcing all its sale products ahead like many retailers do and people can decide if they would want to stay awake at 12 AM to try their luck.

I got a gift card in its Cyber Monday deal the next morning and I was glad that I did not wake up to check out what they had to offer, because even if I had, I would still have got the gift card only.

Simon

Thankfully, I'm on the West Coast--so it's 9 pm for me.

I ended up mainly buying some masking tape (for guitarwork), hole saw set (for inevitably running wires, etc in the office), hand vise (for dental labwork) and some work lights for stocking stuffers.

Nothing sexy for me. Guess that I have most of what I need? Maybe that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Perhaps one day Lee Valley would consider announcing all its sale products ahead like many retailers do and people can decide if they would want to stay awake at 12 AM to try their luck.
    One potential problem there is that a sufficiently clever programmer/woodworker might create a 'bot to snap up all of the pre-advertised tools they want right at midnight.

There are technical mitigations they could use to prevent that (for example use captchas, or create dedicated "one-time SKUs" for the sale items so that the botmaker doesn't know what to target) but those mitigations have their own downsides.

Sure the issues of crawlers and bots must be addressed properly. I think they were already using a different product coding for the Cyber Monday items.

The switch is more a strategic matter than a technical one for Lee Valley.

Simon

I really enjoy Lee Valley's Cyber Monday as it is.

The items I'd want to buy usually sell out in minutes.

If they posted the items earlier, some ePay resellers would probably get everything. Lee Valley still uses Cyber Monday to offer some exceptional (and very limited) deals which has allowed me to get some of their tools that I wouldn't normally have been able to get.

I have been a Lee Valley customer since the late '70s, when the sale flyer got to me in northern BC, they were always sold out. Now being on the wet coast I just have to stay up until 9:00, not much past my bed time.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm- what's this? Looks like wifey took the hint about the cyber Monday sale on gift cards. Looks like I will be buying a plow plane soon. IMG_1467.jpg