Thread: Having a problem with front doors of house - Fading stain

Having a problem with front doors of house - Fading stain

About 6 months ago, we had our front doors refinished by a local painting contractor with whom we have done business before. The doors were stripped down to bare wood, then stained and a finish was applied (although he could have used a stain/finish combination, not sure). The doors looked great when he completed his work but have faded significantly since the job was completed. I realize that, living in the hot Texas heat, such things will happen faster here than other states further north. However, this seems like it happened way too quickly. I had the contractor come out to look at the doors and he does not have an explanation.

He will be coming out to resolve the problem (he is suggesting a varnish) but I would like to be sure that the same thing doesn't happen again.

Any suggestions on what he can do this next time to get a longer lasting result?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I think that is typical. I'm in Virginia and I think every mahogany or other stained door I've made gets painted a couple years out. I like faux painted exagerated graining for exterior doors. You can see the grain from the street and it lasts pretty well.

Do the doors get a lot of direct sunlight in the summer? UV rays can have a nasty effect on finishes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Do the doors get a lot of direct sunlight in the summer? UV rays can have a nasty effect on finishes.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's a UV issue. The front of the house faces south and is in direct sun much of the time. Just not sure what to do about it. I mean, I'd like to get 2-3 years between refinishings! I was considering the option of paint but I know the result will not be nearly as pleasing.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Was in the same situation as you, Glen. Our original fiberglass door was refinished and it didn't last very long at all compared to the original factory finish. Then went to paint which does last longer but still not good after a few years. Now have a replacement fiberglass door with the manufacturer's "best" finish. Still looks new after a couple of years. In my experience, factory finishes are better than anything that is applied post manufacturing but nothing lasts long in the Texas sun

What stain and finish did your contractor use? I think the correct solution is going to require stripping it again. Then use an exterior rated stain followed by a UV absorbing topcoat. Many people report great results with Sherwin Williams A-100 deep base, with no pigment added. It's the base from their paint line, and contains an excellent UV package. If pigment is not added the product dries clear. People report 5+ years w/o maintenance. I've never used it, but I will on my next outdoor furniture project. To date, I've used Epifanes Marine Varnish. Great stuff, but it takes forever to apply and even longer to cure. And you have to apply a new coat or two every year to maintain the UV protection.

John

I agree with John, what ever stain and finish needs to be exterior rated, big box spar varnish is not going to last long either. I used Epifanes Marine varnish, on my South west facing Mahogany door, after 8 coats of the varnish, I cannot imagine the need for a stain, since the varnish darkened up the Mahogany so much. Even after all those coats of varnish, I still will need to recoat the door every couple of years with one or two maintance coats, varnished exterior doors need constant maintance. FYI, Epifanes also sells a stain, a liter of the varnish is about $55.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 11-28-2016 at 7:41 PM.

You need a good 2 pack polyurethane industrial product with good uv inhibitor. International Protective Coatings make an excellent one called Interthane 990. Expect to pay. Other manufacturers make similar products. It's the uv inhibitors that cost. Cheers

I actually used General Finish products (gel and clear coat) and it is still going strong after 3 years. The door was new fir. I hope it helps.

Which topcoat, Exterior 450?

John