Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Way Coring System Question

One Way Coring System Question

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a One Way bowl coring system, but there is one thing I am not clear about: What is the minimum size bowl that I can core and get two bowls out of? There are conflicting specs on the web as to the min size bowl the #1 knives can yield.

As an example, let's say i have a 12 inch diameter wet bowl blank and depth is not a limiting factor: Using the 10% rule the outer bowl inside diameter would be 10 3/4 inches. Subtracting 3/8 cutter width, now the inside bowl OD is about 10 3/8 inch, and the desired ID would be about 9 3/8 inch. Can the smallest knife set achieve this?

Asked another way, what is the smallest diameter blank for which i can yield two bowls?

I'm just trying to be clear as to the system capabilities before I purchase.

thanks!

According Oneway, bowls can be made about 2” larger or smaller than the coring knife, so a 9” knife should be able to core a 7” bowl or 11”, and depending your mastery of the system it can do more, look at the picture of a cored burl into 8 bowls, happy coring with the EASY CORE

8 bowl Easy-core result.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Thanks, that answers my question!

From what I've seen and read, the Oneway system seems to be the most robust and user-friendly. i think i'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge..............

I use the McNaughton system, but this will still apply to your situation. The number of bowls is dependent upon the thickness of the blank and how thick you want the core. If wanting an inch thick, you could only get two from a 3" thick blank" , but a 5" blank could make 3 easily. As Leo said, the better you get with any system, the more you can make it do.

I was in the right place at the right time and have both the Oneway and the McNaughton. The Oneway is more robust and predictable. The McNaughton is easier to set up and is more flexible and probably easier to use in total. Both work well and both have a learning curve. I got the Oneway first and figured out how to model the coring with a SketchUp. It models what you get pretty well. I haven't done it with the McNaughton.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    David G

Yea, there is a lot to figure out if you are trying to go for maximum sets of cored/nested bowls. For that, the McNaughton is the better tool. I never core anything less than about 4 inches deep and 12 inches wide. Just not a time saver or wood saver, or I end up with a bunch of 5 inch cores that I never get around to sanding out. If you figure out 1 bowl per inch of thickness, you might get that if you are doing once turned bowls (green to final thickness). With twice turned bowls, better to figure about 1 per 1 1/2 inch of thickness, depending a bit on diameter. In trying to figure out how many you will get, you need to consider that you will remove at least 1/8 inch from both inside and outside of the core to clean it up...

robo hippy

Clay you may have already made the purchase but if not:
    I bought the oneway easy core with the three smallest cutters because I have a 16" lathe and thought that the bigger cutter would just sit. I believe I made the correct decision. I recently cored a wet 12" dia Silver Maple.
    IMG_3230.jpg
    Yes, as Robo says I do wind up with a few small cores. Unlike many others I like to turn it thin and pierce or detail it.
    I do have info on my Blog describing how I use a laser to 'see' the shape of the core and where the bottom would be.
    Incidentally this is on the list of upcoming items to be published in the AAW Journal.

Opps looks like I managed to include a photo of some of the Silver Maple by mistake. Tried to edit it out but can't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Peter- I've been messing with coring (McNaughton) and that first picture puts me to shame. Very nice work.

Glad you added the second picture. So far I have been cutting my big log sections in half to get two of the biggest bowls plus cores I can get. I was looking at a Bowl book I have by Raffin and he uses one half of the log for the big bowl but slices the other half in smaller hunks like you did to get more turning pieces. I need to learn more on how to get the most out of the wood because I'm learning if I only make big bowls I run out of turning stock too quickly.

(sorry if this is hijacking the original post)

Mike

Where the large knife would come in handy is if you have a shallow blank, say a 4 inch thick one and you can get a more shallow core out of it, similar to a platter blank. This is the same function that the shallow curve blades from the McNaughton come in, though they are more shallow than the Oneway.

robo hippy

Mike I too have struggled with exactly this same issue.
    What I now do is try to get the largest section, especially if they are 3 or 4 feet in diameter cut into 16" thick 'cookies'. Most of our tree guys will do this cause then they don't have to chip it or haul it away. I do 16" cause I only can swing 16" on my lathe. I then can cut lots of shapes from them from hollow forms to bowls and spindles. I like to core trunk sections that are about 16 or 17" in dia. by splitting them just beside the pith.
    If I was brave like Robo I would core much thinner and sand instead of twice turning.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Thanks for this Reed. I do use the larger of my cutters this way but often have to break out a larger section in the center.
    Pete

Thanks for the comments guys, and no worries about thread hijacking! It's all good.

So I did in fact place my order for the 24" Oneway coring system, plus the 3 smaller knife sets. Ouch to the wallet, but I do think I'll get good usage out of this system. I'm blessed to have a good friend who runs a local tree service, and who is happy to donate cool pieces for me to work on!
    Last edited by Clay Fails; 11-29-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys, and no worries about thread hijacking! It's all good.

So I did in fact place my order for the 24" Oneway coring system, plus the 3 smaller knife sets. Ouch to the wallet, but I do think I'll get good usage out of this system. I'm blessed to have a good friend who runs a local tree service, and who is happy to donate cool pieces for me to work on!
    Hi Clay,
    You mentioned ouch to the wallet. It might hurt in the beginning but you will see very soon that this was one purchase that truly does save time, energy and money when you start getting multiple blanks out of a piece of wood. A couple of tips... speed is slow between 400-600. Keep the support bar engaged! Most important is to keep your cutting tips very, very sharp! Get the tip sharpening jig from Oneway! It is a must... call them back if you need too. Once you get the hang of using this tool you will see or at least I did what a great purchase it was. Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Great comments Vince. Clay if you didn't get the sharpening jig send me a PM and I'll send one along to you. I have two, not sure why, and don't see any reason I will ever need the other. I know it's not really in the scope of this thread but when sharpening these cutters a CBN wheel can't be beaten because it never changes diameter.

Ps. I seem to remember that Reed Grey one time posted a comment about a modified cutter. . . . .
    Pete

Modified cutters... Being the curious sort, I wondered about their cutting tips with the spear point and only sharpening the top surface, which requires you to remove the tip from the blade (they used to include a push pin to clean out the hex head screw/bolt), sharpen and then replace. When I asked about the spear type tip, their comment was some thing like 'the point breaks the fiber, and then the edges cut it away'. Well, I asked for, and received a hardened tip that didn't have the chip breaker tip on it. It was a rectangle, so I tapered the sides so it would fit into the kerf without binding, and it stuck out about 1/4 inch proud of the end of the blade, so I could sharpen the bevel without taking it off the blade. This is pretty much the same shape of the Wood Cut blades, and I grind my McNaughton blades down to square tips. This shape of cutter works far better for me, and it cuts faster. When I reported this to Oneway, they said that they knew that and because that shape of tip was more aggressive, they did not sell it to the general public. No idea how it works on natural edge bowls. If I used the Oneway as my primary coring tool, I would have all of my tips that shape.

robo hippy