Thread: Incra 1000SE

Incra 1000SE

Incra 1000SE on Amazon for just under $100 looks good. Anyone own this unit? would you buy again? Any other brand I should look at that may be better and worth the extra $$$. Anyone know of a on-line review?

I have the 3000se and am well pleased. I don't thing you casn go wrong with anything from Incra.

Dave, I have the older Incra 1000 - they have it at Amazon for $109.00. I don't know what the differences are between this and the "SE" but I have nothing but good comments for mine. Gives me perfectly square cuts with no play in the miter slot. Thumbs up!

For $100, I don't think there is a better deal.

But there are a few drawbacks of the 1000SE you should be aware of:

1. The miter bar is shorter than some other aftermarket miter gauges. It is only 18". Many others come with 21" miter bar. Woodpeckers does sell longer miter bars but of course that costs money!

2. The way it comes from the factory, adjusting is not toolless. You'll need an Allen wrench or an Allen screwdriver (supplied). But you know they want to play hide-and-seek.

I fixed (2) somewhat with some extra knobs and screws from Woodpeckers. See mine here.

Smile Incra 1000SE

Dave

I have a 1000SE and think it's about the best miter guage on the market for the price. Granted it requires tools to set up and adjust, but once its set you can make very accurate and repeatable cuts. It's a great unit!

Larry

I got my 1000SE about a week ago (caught it on sale at Amazon as the result of a price alert on the Creek), but so far I'm very pleased with it. (It's more accurate for 90* cuts than my crosscut sled right now, but that's because I need to re-do the fence on my sled. )

The stock miter gauge that came with my TS was decent, but the 1000SE is head and shoulders above it. I think there are other miter gauges that are as good or better, but I don't think you'll find anything comparable for the price Amazon has. You'd probably have to spend twice that to get something close to the 1000SE.

- Vaughn

Another question

Found this on woodpecker.com

"As an added bonus, the Woodpecker exclusive Special Edition miter gauge also includes a 1/10th degree vernier scale to reach typically impossible fractional angles."

Does the Amazon 1000se have the 1/10th scale? Seems like everyone says this gauge in their own not sold by anyone else. (woodcraft)

Also by comparison with my stock miter gauge the head of the 1000SE seems cheap. Like it is just made out of some bent sheet metal. How does it hold up and is there any flex in the head or fence when extended out?

Thanks for the help

Dave, the 1000SE I got from Amazon has the 1/10th degree vernier scale. AFAIK, the "SE" designation was added when they added the vernier (and perhaps the extending fence). The bent sheet metal aspect of the gauge head is very substantial (IMHO) and I've not seen any evidence of flex with the fence extenced out. Granted, if I grab the extended fence and try to slide the saw sideways across the floor, it'll flex some, but I've not seen any flex in normal, reasonable use. One thing the Incra fence has that I've not seen on any of the others is the Incra "teeth" that engage the sliding stop. Very, very repeatable, and with the micro adjust screw, very adjustable, so you can get anywhere between the 1/32" teeth.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Dave,

I'm a pleased 1000SE owner. Dead solid in the miter slot and perfect 90* cutoffs. I also get perfect 45* cuts for frames, etc.....

It truly is repeatable and accurate. Stop block is good.

The downers are:
    1) takes a fair amount of "fiddlling" to setup - lots of allen wrenches, tweaking, yada - yada.

2) wish the fence was longer - has extension, and is accurate - just wish it was a 3 foot bar for me!!

3)haven't used it enough yet for a good test on the fence scale....

It takes a little getting used to over my standard "improved" miter guage-- but it is better because you can go back and forth on angles with perfect accuracy.

I paid $120 for mine --- for a $100, it's a good buy$$$$!

Another option is to just get the v27 guage and add your own fence...it runs only about $45 from Amazon --- I might get that as a second INCRA!!!

I got the 1000SE. Very happy with it. It isn't on the table as much since I built the sled. I agree with how Roy charactarized it. If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy the V27 and add a shop made fence as with a good fence of your own liking it is every bit as accurate from what I have been told.

Corey

To add a bit...tonight I used the 1000SE to cut a bunch of mitered short pieces, and found it was very easy to add an auxiliary (sacrificial) fence. I had a +/- 3' long strip of 3/4" BB ply that happened to be about the right height, and the kit even included the screws to attach it to one of the t-slots in the factory fence. The sliding stop can be reconfigured quickly to work with the extra 3/4" fence depth. Anyway, to counter one of Roy's "downer" points, you can make a fence longer pretty easily.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Vaughn,

Glad you "experimented" a bit...... I'll do the same and hopefully erase one of the "downers "
    Good reminder!!

SMC Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    To add a bit...tonight I used the 1000SE to cut a bunch of mitered short pieces, and found it was very easy to add an auxiliary (sacrificial) fence. I had a +/- 3' long strip of 3/4" BB ply that happened to be about the right height, and the kit even included the screws to attach it to one of the t-slots in the factory fence. The sliding stop can be reconfigured quickly to work with the extra 3/4" fence depth. Anyway, to counter one of Roy's "downer" points, you can make a fence longer pretty easily.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

I have the V27 and I do like the repeatability, but!!!, I had an awful time getting it to run good in the miter slot on my PM66 until I figured out that the bar had a hook in it of about .010 to .020. After if cleaned it up it works great and cuts right on. Definitely better than the original.

CPeter

This guage came highly recommended to me from some friends. So I can now pass on the recommedation to you.
    I have had mine for awhile now.
    It was accurate right from the box, no adjustments needed.
    Sounds like a good price also.

I have the 1000SE and will be upgrading the bar to the extended one (18"-31") with the flip up stop. I'd probably go with the longer setup. Check Woodpeckers they have been having so good sales lately.

Mike