Thread: Hpl on softwood timber

Hpl on softwood timber

Hi to all,

First of all I would like to state that my woodworking skills and knowledge are limited.
    That being said next to my situation.
    I need to make some decorative items (200x200x22 mm) from wood.
    I need to find a solution to have a contrast on wood for engraving names and other characters.
    I was thinking to use hpl. Glue that to timber. I read the wood expand and contract and the hpl might be not suitable for this. Hpl will be applied on the face of timber.
    What do you think? It is doable...The hpl will crack in time because wood movement?
    If not what other choices do I have. Staining will be one I think, but it is messy and time consuming...
    I have a laser, but I dont want to use that because I need to have a contrast with brownish color on surface and light color under. I will use my CNC machine instead.

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

Gabi, if you're using the high pressure laminate for just an inlay that gets engraved and the projects are small, the issue with wood movement will be less than if you are wanting to put the HPL on a large surface of solid stock. HPL in that case is usually applied to a manufactured substrate that doesn't move like solid stock will. You could also do your engraving on contrasting veneer (thin or thick as appropriate) instead of the HPL and if you can keep the grain orientation the same as the underlying solid stock, you'll not likely have too much issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your answer. I still have some questions:
    - how do I put the contact cement. I use a brush, but it is came uneven.
    - what ro use to clean the brush?
    Regarding the cnc part:
    - what bits are good on this application. I use a 1 flute bit for aluminum, but the surface in not so good.
    - what speds and feeds I need to use to have a smooth finish, less sanding.
    I now remember why I hate to work with wood. No consistency in terms of dimensions and more work after the piece is out from cnc.

Thank you
    Gabi

The few times I've used contact cement, it was applied with a small roller.

I can't help you on tooling...I don't do any kind of CNC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...