Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have too many toys

Blog Entries

I have too many toys

I just checked the new Woodcraft December sales brochure.

I could not find anything I need or want.

Quitter...
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

You are looking for sympathy?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    Quitter...
    Made me laugh out loud!

I've been in that mode for awhile. There's nothing major I need (or have room for) so I find myself buying small things like router bits.
    I just ordered the 2017 Lie-Nielsen calendar, does that count?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Me too. I need nothing. My most recent shop tool buy was a new camera lens.

You can't count consumables like wood, glue, screws, tape, finishes, dust masks, drill bits, markers, sandpaper, snacks, ... Did I mention wood?

JKJ

I don't even buy more hammers and vise grips at garage sales anymore. Anyone need a Bailey #5?? I have seven of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    I don't even buy more hammers and vise grips at garage sales anymore. Anyone need a Bailey #5?? I have seven of them.
    If I find a Bluegrass tool, I will buy it. I recently acquired a Bluegrass draw knife. I had no idea they ever made one.

What? Can't find anything worthy in the Woodcraft sale? What about 'Box of random screws that got here because nobody wanted them''?

9. I don't have too many toys.....just need a bigger place to put them all, and be able to utilize them at will, without having to move 25 things just to get to them!

Every once in a while, I will clean off my table saw, dust it real good, and pet it a little, just to let it know that I still love it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

LOL...I resemble that remark.

There are not many things that I really want when it comes to tools at this point, outside of maybe some additional hand-tool options. It's taken many years to get to that point, however. About the only thing I'm coveting right now is a Domino, but there are other financial priorities in my life at present, including my younger heading to college next fall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not me, I still need lots of tools and machines, and my wants are even greater. Clearly, I have been too frugal.

John

This reminds me of two notable days. #1. When there is some woodworking project or other project around the house that requires small hardware items like screws, I usually buy a few extra. The day finally came when I didn't have to go buy screws for the project. It happens with increasing frequency. The cost is that I have lot of small hardware items. #2. That was the day I realized I didn't need another woodworking tool for a project - it was a doll house for my granddaughter. Life can be good.

He who dies with the most toys wins.
    Last edited by Larry Anderson; 11-29-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Its not nice to tease someone!
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

I set up my shop about 12 years ago, after having fixed up the shop. Went with better equipment than having planned, after finding this forum. After that much time, have upgraded some of the machines, am happy with my set up. Don't really want to know how much $ spent, but is fun to be able to knock out a project without ordering a tool. Haven't toured the local school shop, but mine is multiples better than the school shop I attended.