Thread: Design that you like

Design that you like

As some may be aware, I have just completed a dining suite comprising a 10' x 3'6" table, 10 chairs, six bar stools and a coffee table. This took 430 hours plus materials - eucalyptus obliqua , commonly known as messmate.

The point I want to make is this - when you present a range of options to a client, make sure you like ALL of them.

For the chairs, I had a loose brief as to what was required. I went back to the shop and sketched up a basic frame concept and then 10 designs that fitted both the brief and the construction method. These were presented to the client but yours truly forgot to put the basic outline drawing aside.

The result? The client ignored all the designs and insisted on the basic block frame concept. I am proud of my workmanship, but the project had no soul. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Was the customer happy? That matters!

So much is subjective!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wayne, do you have any pictures?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I can understand your desire to fine tune presentation. But if I understand it right the client chose the plainest form. So even without the most basic sketch they could have chosen one with more detail and said "this basic shape ...without the detail". And there are some buyers without talent to design who have to add or subtract SOMETHING ; otherwise they don't really feel they are buying custom work.

Ken, the customer was happy. You are right that that is the main thing. I'm going to have to quit complaining.

Mel, you summed it up well.

will try and post some pictures when I have a chance to set up my computer at home again. Just got home this afternoon. Cheers