Thread: Keepsake Boxes

Smile Keepsake Boxes

I appreciate all of the great info I have been getting from everyone on the forum, so I thought I share some more of my starter projects. I have been building keepsake boxes as a way of developing my skills and I thought I would share the first 3 boxes.

The two together are from my "wood floor" series. My in laws (and neighbors) install solid maple flooring 8 years ago and have tons left over. After I saw off the finish and the grooves on the bottom, I am left with boards of various lengths that are ~3/8" x 3 3/8". The one with the walnut handle is just finished with a rattle can shellac. The other is with Danish oil (which it turn yellow).

The other box is Angelique Wood with an ambrosia maple panel insert and more the maple flooring lining the inside (yeah it is a little heavy). The finish is BLO, wiping poly and wax.

Of course, I bought the Angelique and sawed it up before researching it in detail. Little did I know that because of the high silica content, it is "a little hard" on saw blades. Lesson learned.

Also, I went cheap on the hinges. A mistake I will not repeat again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful looking work!

On the hardware thing, I think it's natural for many of us to "try to be economical" early on in our woodworking adventures, but we all do learn that sage lesson: the most expensive things are those we sometimes pay the least for initially. I learned my lesson on that the hard way, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice boxes! Thanks for sharing them with us.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great looking boxes! I'm also a member of the surplus 'floor wood' fraternity. It's perfect for these little boxes. I think the thinner sides are a more appropriate scale for the box size, but complicate attaching tops and bottoms. It looks like you are supporting the lid on one of the small boxes with dowels or brass rods....very clever. The thin pieces of figured wood also make great cigar box guitar fret boards.