Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gyro Air Dust Collector

Gyro Air Dust Collector

I did a search on SMC but could not find any threads on the new Gyro Air dust collector. I have an Oneida 3 hp system that is absolutely fantastic except the noise is unbearable. It registers 80 dB at the cyclone and 70dB 20' away inside the shop. My only interest in the new Gyro Air is their claim of 61 - 72 dB depending on the speed you run it at. It's a variable speed unit. I am not knowledgeable on dB values but I do realize they are not linear. I have no concept of how much quieter 70 dB is than 80 dB except for my measuring the values of my Oneida DC at the cyclone and then 20' away as stated above. Can anyone tell me what percentage quieter 70 dB is than 80 dB. Thanks.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/162...processor.aspx

Unfortunately, a dB number by itself is close to meaningless. It measures sound as received by an ear or microphone. Move closer to the sound source, and the sound received gets bigger -- that is, the dB reading on your meter would get larger. So Harvey's claim of 61-72 dB just doesn't tell us anything.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 11-30-2016 at 10:58 PM.

We've been discussing this unit over on the Felder Owners Group. One thing to bear in mind is the standard filter is believed to be 5 micron, with the possibility to upgrade to 1 micron. Most aftermarket filters (from Wynn Environmental for example) are 0.5 micron rated. Therefore really fine dust (which tends to be the most dangerous to our lungs) is going to get through. Also an impeller size of 12 inches is about the same as you'll find on a lot of 1.5-2HP single stage units, so unless there is something fundamentally different with this design compared to regular cyclones, flow rate is not going to be great for the cost involved.

Woodcraft wants $4K for a chip collector that does 1100 cfm (likely without ducting). There's lots of collectors with that spec at half the price.

For somebody who already owns a good collector like your Oneida, you'd do a lot better on the cost by spending a few hundred bucks to wrap a closet around your existing machine.

I think Bob's primary objective is to reduce noise. The Gyro Air's 4K price would build a pretty nice insulated DC closet for his Oneida.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I haven't looked it up, but I think 70 is one tenth as loud as 80.
    But you already have to wear hearing protection for the tool you are using, so what's the big deal about some extra noise?

Bridge City owner John Economaki bought the Gyro Air dust collector and is very happy with it, check his blog post

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...air/#more-9423

Also the video about this new design of the dust collector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5VtMvvF07U&t=43s
    Last edited by James Zhu; 12-01-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I haven't looked it up, but I think 70 is one tenth as loud as 80.
    But you already have to wear hearing protection for the tool you are using, so what's the big deal about some extra noise?
    This is my feeling exactly. I am reminded though that other home dwellers may be the ones objecting to the noise. It certainly doesn't bother me as I am diligent about wearing hearing protection.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    Bridge City owner John Economaki bought the Gyro Air dust collector and is very happy with it, check his blog post

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...air/#more-9423
    The bird in the photo is fake. If they fake one thing, then perhaps more. (and why fake a bird?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

For somebody who already owns a good collector like your Oneida, you'd do a lot better on the cost by spending a few hundred bucks to wrap a closet around your existing machine.
    x2

I built an insulated closet around mine with two layers of sheetrock and its not bad at all.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that an enclosure around the Oneida is a sensible solution and one i have been considering.

This thing looks so odd. I would love to read a review from someone who knows what it's really doing. That guy at Bridge City has no clue - that review was simultaneously written like a shill for the company, yet completely rife with technical misunderstanding (eg - the motor is not "DC", it's a regular AC motor driven with a VFD...).

Seems like it might be not much different than the Oneida Smart collector? Just in a very strange form factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    This thing looks so odd. I would love to read a review from someone who knows what it's really doing. That guy at Bridge City has no clue - that review was simultaneously written like a shill for the company, yet completely rife with technical misunderstanding (eg - the motor is not "DC", it's a regular AC motor driven with a VFD...).

Seems like it might be not much different than the Oneida Smart collector? Just in a very strange form factor?
    Look at the Harvey web site, or their posts on Youtube. They claim that their design spins the incoming airflow against the walls of the cyclone much faster than a typical cyclone, so there's more force rubbing the dust out of the airstream. In fact, that force is so much higher, it doesn't matter which direction the cyclone is oriented in -- that is, horizontal is just as good as vertical.

That's what they say. I have no idea whether it is true, or is just marketing. It would be good to see independent testing. For $4K, they have to show they're somehow better than traditional cyclones which cost a lot less.

Regardless of the claims, Jamie - fact is the impeller is not going to produce the sort of airflow that most people would expect to see for 4k - and however efficient it is in separation, its still going to pass through some dust. IF the filter is only rated at 5 micron, that's really not good enough for the cost involved or for the health of the user

I am always surprised by people complaining about the noise of their DC. I have a Clearvue cyclone that I have enclosed it in a closet. But even without it it is nowhere near as loud and annoying as my planer, or shaper (or even router). The shaper and planer are the tools I can't stand without a hearing protection.