Thread: Dupuytren's Contracture diagnosis

Dupuytren's Contracture diagnosis

I saw orthopedic doc today and he said that I had Dupuytren's Contracture taking place in my left hand thumb and index finger area. He said to try treating with Apercream or other cream 3 times a day and watch, but surgery would likely be required in future (even said it could be done now). I am right handed so the downtime would not be as bad as it could be, but having a hand with limited use is not desirable. I am going to wait until next year for sure at this time, but trying to find out more about it. It seems to be hereditary and younger brother had developed something similar on ring finger. Looking on line it seems to be fairly common but different from carpal tunnel that you hear about all the time. Anyone out there had similar and what did you do?

I also was just diagnosed with it. It generally starts with the ring and little finger (my case) and even with surgery it will come back within 1/3 years. For that reason my Doctor does not even offer it. The more common treatment now days is to inject a medicine to soften the thick tissue causing the contracture then the following day the doctor will move your hand in ways that can break up the cords and stretch your fingers into their normal position.

I wonder now how many people will goggle this to see what the heck we are talking about
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 12-01-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Please see link below

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/Search?q...7s+Contracture

see information on that page

Then click onto the word Accredited in the filters on the left side of the page This will reveal the acredited articles

hope this helps

(Please note this is a United Kingdom, National Health Service website and there may be a diffent approach to treatment in the USA)

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 12-01-2016 at 3:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have had two surgeries on my left hand for it and it has come back both times. The surgery is not simple ,it took 2-3 hours both times. When I had the surgeries the injection was not available. My brother and son also have it, they both had the injection and it worked very well for them. I would never do another surgery and am considering the injection, I now have it on both hands, for the most part I've learned to live with it although it makes it tough to fit my hand into my table saw to change the blade. Here's a picture of what my hand looks like......very crooked pinky finger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Very ironic topic. I just scheduled an appointment yesterday with a hand surgeon, which I believe will end up being a diagnosis of Dupuytren's. My issue is with the right ring finger and is still relatively minor, with just some nodules developing in my palm below the ring finger. I will be watching this thread closely and wish you good luck

brian
    Brian E. Cosgrove

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have had two surgeries on my left hand for it and it has come back both times. The surgery is not simple ,it took 2-3 hours both times. When I had the surgeries the injection was not available. My brother and son also have it, they both had the injection and it worked very well for them. I would never do another surgery and am considering the injection, I now have it on both hands, for the most part I've learned to live with it although it makes it tough to fit my hand into my table saw to change the blade. Here's a picture of what my hand looks like......very crooked pinky finger.
    Yep that looks like it. Mine is not as bad as yours but close, it is also just starting on my other hand. I figured I will do something about it when I can no longer get my hand in my pocket. Good luck.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

My issue is not contraction of finger, but the "tender" ligament running across the joint in my palm of the index finger. It is at a point of contact with opening doors, steering wheel, holding tools, etc. and even clapping. Three weeks ago I was ready for a shot or surgery to get rid of the issue, but it has settled down some when I use Voltarin cream, prescription medication, that I have for ankle issues. I had a "ring" form on right hand index finger ligament in about same area about 20+ years back that was removed with surgery and have no problems after that. The doctor did say that age is a factor with Dupuytren and also low fat or body mass to pad the cords. I thank all for responding and hope that some of the newer treatments other than surgery have worked and will get reported.