Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Camera and Monitor for Hollowing

Video Camera and Monitor for Hollowing

Anyone set up their own system for video guided hollowing? What type of camera and monitor did you use? Thanks.

I have been gather equipment for that. Next year is my target to start.

I am looking a different approach. I am planning on using a microsoft XBOX kinect sensor.

Microsoft has a free API that will build a 3d model on the fly. That does the bulk of the heavy lifting.

This will plug into an old computer and use a computer monitor.

This will allow me to keep track of material removed from the model and you can see what has been removed on the monitor.

You can also work in a simple mode where you create a model of the stock and tool then track the tool in the stock (same way most systems work today).

Have fun,
    Michael

I bought a backup camera & monitor on EBay. Paid $66. I put it on a Jamieson system. Works good.

Here is what I bought on Amazon;
    TFT color monitor. $20.00
    Swann ADS-120 CCTV camera. $65.00

Works very well.
    PM me for details if you wish

Dwight:
    PM sent

Ed

6. I used the swann camera and a color computer monitor. I had to buy an adapter to change from analog to digital since the at is what the monitor required. Works great. I mounted on a Monster system and also use it with my McNaughton. I did make a 1/2" square bar to use with it. Works great. If you do careful setup you can easily hollow to 1/8" or maybe a little less on very large hollow forms. My whole setup was less then $100. I got the monitor at a pawn shop. Some of my club members have gotten them free from computer repair guys. They are glad to get rid of them as they are hard to dispose of. I tried a backup camera but the image was a mirror image, hard to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidLwThKHSw Describes the camera system. The guy is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidLwThKHSw Describes the camera system. The guy is a genius.
    I really like this setup. Thanks for sharing the link!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I've built and sold a few and kept one for myself. I've bought a bunch of these camera's from ebay, these camera's have a fixed focus, but work well at about 12" from the work piece. The only real hard part is finding monitor with a video input. Sometimes it's hard to find one cheap. But last week I bought one of these from Ebay. So if you have an old computer monitor you can use it with the adapter, it took some random button pushing to get it to work, but worked well. Previously I used a piece of Mylar over the screen to keep from marking on the TV screen, but at a meeting a member said he used Frisket. So I bought some from Amazon and intend to try it. I've used my system a lot and really like it. Yes there is a little bit of set up, but no more than for a laser system.
    BTW, I liked the video, it does a good job. I only trace the desired thickness, not the cutter, my monitor is bigger, but the magnetic mount on Alan's looks nice, I may try one of the 7" Tiff displays and see if the size works ok for me.
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 12-03-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Brian - thanks for the link. That's a very descriptive video, however, there's one part of it that confounds me. When you trace the outline of the bar and cutter on the screen overlay, it's in a fixed position on the screen. When the bar and cutter are moving inside the hollow form, the trace appears to move with it, even though I know it's fixed on the screen. There's obviously something I'm missing. Can you help clear that up for me.

Josh - thanks for the eBay/Amazon links.

Ed

Ed, concerning how you see things, remember the camera is looking at the cutter and moves with the cutter, so when you move the cutter it looks like the work piece is moving. We're use to seeing a fixed camera looking at the lathe and the cutter and can see their movements separately. That or it's magic. Either way it works.

Got it. Thanks Josh

Here is another option. If you have an old laptop, (Mine is some 10 year-old antique running Windows Vista) you can use an "Endoscope". It has a USB plug and plugs right into the laptop. It comes with software and worked right out of the box. Also the camera is shaped like a laser and is easily fit into the same fixture I formerly used for my laser.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-4LED-Endo...0AAOSwyLlXoYMY

I've been eyeballing my assortment of old cell phones. The cameras still work... Cell phone plus old lap top could be a no cost option.

clint

I started by trying an endoscope similar to the one that Mike mentioned, but the focal length of the one that I bought was only about 4", so I had to get the camera within that distance of the cutter. It didn't work out for me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON