Thread: New Welder Connection Question???

New Welder Connection Question???

Just got an Eastwood 175 Mig welder. It comes with a 50A 220, spade(?) type connector. In my garage, I use twist loc 30A 220v connectors, NEMA L6-30, 250v. The 175 welder says it requires a 30A circuit. Can I just make a short adapter cable that goes from one to other?

50 amp is kind of the welding standard for plugs. I made an adapter for my 50 amp welder to run off my 30 amp dryer plug years ago. It worked find, I just could not run the welder wide open. If you only require a 30 amp service then you should have full service from your welder.

I now live in a different house and I ran 6 gauge wire for my welders with a 50 amp welder plug.

Or you could put a 30A twist lock plug on the welder cord. As Lee said, you may be limited to less than 175A welding current. You will know when you reach that point, the breaker will trip.

John

A 30 amp should be fine for that welder. The connector on the welder is standard US plug for welders. Why not just change the outlet your going to use for that welder to that standard type? Cost maybe $12 USD.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    A 30 amp should be fine for that welder. The connector on the welder is standard US plug for welders. Why not just change the outlet your going to use for that welder to that standard type? Cost maybe $12 USD.
    What you are proposing would be a code violation, as you would be feeding a 50A receptacle with a wire only rated for 30A. A better solution would be to either change the plug on the welder or make an adapter.

Made the jumper /adapter, no problem. I made a 10' one, but may make a 20' one as well so I can weld outside. Thanks for all your input. Now, to get practicing....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    What you are proposing would be a code violation, as you would be feeding a 50A receptacle with a wire only rated for 30A. A better solution would be to either change the plug on the welder or make an adapter.
    Since I was a licensed Master before I retired I would never suggest anything that violates the NEC. Since I am to lazy to go down and bring up one of my Code books I did a quick online search

Just one example.... Welding Circuits are an exception to the standard wiring.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-09-2017 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Removed Forum link
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Since I was a licensed Master before I retired I would never suggest anything that violates the NEC. Since I am to lazy to go down and bring up one of my Code books I did a quick online search

Just one example.... Welding Circuits are an exception to the standard wiring.
    Bill, I defer to your expertise - thanks for clarifying that welding circuits are an exception.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Bill, I defer to your expertise - thanks for clarifying that welding circuits are an exception.
    It should also be pointed out that the branch circuit breaker protects the wire. The receptacle is mostly irrelevant although there are areas of NEC that cover which receptacles can be installed on what types of branch circuits.

Putting a receptacle rated for 50A on a 30A branch circuit (where the circuit is properly run with 10AWG wire), will not cause any issues except that if you did plug in a welder that tried to pull more than 30A from the wall, it would trip the breaker every time.

On the other hand if you installed a receptacle rated for 30A on a 50A branch circuit, then modified the power cord of a tool that drew up to 50A so that you could plug it into the 30A-rated receptacle... that would be a problem because you'd be exceeding the rating of the receptacle, and the circuit breaker would not trip.

And a 50 amp plug can be wired with 40 amp wire and a 50 amp breaker if it is a stick welder. For MIG not so much. The NEC figures a stick welder is not 100%. since so much time is spent switching rods, chipping slag etc.
    Bill