Thread: Coffee scoops

Coffee scoops

These are very fun to make,I've been carving,turning and crafting just really enjoying the simple woodworking stuff.
    Walnut,Mahiogany and white oak.Coffee scoopers.

I have some more stuff to show later.

Bye
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Those are very nice, Andrew! Did you size these for a specific dose/measure?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,They worked out to about 1/3 cup.I didn't really try to Make a certain size just went with pleasing to my eye.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Thanks Jim,They worked out to about 1/3 cup.I didn't really try to Make a certain size just went with pleasing to my eye.
    Those will make good presents!

If you ever make some where the volume would matter I came up with a method to get coffee scoops to the exact size inside. These were carved instead of turned with the shape elongated and my Lovely Bride wanted them to match the measure of the plastic scoop that came with our coffee maker. I thunk and thunk then filled the plastic scoop with Silly Putty. I carved out the wooden scoops until the bowl would just hold the putty then shaped the outside to match. Perfect measure!

JKJ

How did you hollow the inside, Andrew? It looks like you used some drill bits, especially on the white oak, but it's hard to tell.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    How did you hollow the inside, Andrew? It looks like you used some drill bits, especially on the white oak, but it's hard to tell.

Mike
    Oh the insides were turned on the lathe separate from the handle.

Nice tip john Thanks.

I also made some spoons from Mahogany and teak. When I get some decent pics I'll post them.
    Aj

I also made some spoons from Mahogany and teak. When I get some decent pics I'll post them.
    Have you ever tried Dogwood? That's probably my favorite local wood, light in color, hard, dense, diffuse porous - very fine grain. Dogwood is a traditional choice for loom shuttles and other functional things. I've used it for many turnings over the years. I don't think it grows in S. California but if you want to try it I can send you a piece (send me a PM).

i prefer hard, fine-grained wood for small things. The last spoons/scoops I made were from Pink Flame and from Cocobolo. Other exotics like ebony, bloodwood, tulipwood and locals osage, hard maple, and locust are hard and heavy - for small things they give a good feel in the hand.

JKJ

Great gift idea. Note to self.

Thanks for the idea. I've made a few coffee scoops with the metal kits, but it did not occur to me to turn the cup itself. This makes a much more personal gift.

Andrew, do you drill the holes for the handles before turning ?

Oh the insides were turned on the lathe separate from the handle.

Nice tip john Thanks.

Okay, I understand now. Thanks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Andrew, do you drill the holes for the handles before turning ?
    Yes thats correct drill the hole before turning the inside.Here's some pics of the spoons in Mahogany and Teak.My favorite is the solo Mahogany spoon.These were made from scraps only about 3/4 thick.The mahogany I've been saving because it was too nice to throw out.Im really glad i did because it was a joy to carve and shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

13. I really like the coffee scoops. What a great idea.