Thread: Handsaw storage

Handsaw storage

I have a couple of older handsaws that I have had hanging on a peg thru the hand hole. I was told the other day by the man who sharpens my saws that I should not hang them this way but build a shelf that I could set them upright on. How do you store your handsaws. I have a D8 that is pre 1929 so want to do what is best.

Almost all my saws are that era or before, and I store them all handle down. No problems.
    Paul

As long as the teeth are not banging against other saws, and each saw is easy to get to, without hitting it's neighbor.....makes no difference handle up or down. The peg must be so that a handle can slip onto it easily, without scratching the wood of the handle.

One could build a deep enough drawer, add two slotted boards to hold the saws, and then close the drawer when not in use, Like those horizontal tills in a tool chest.
    tool chest #2 opened.jpg
    Then again, some even hang them from a tool chest's lid...D8 and an Atkins Ship saw.....

This is how I store mine. Some of the saws in there are pre 1900 and are just fine.

11781800_10152927010055583_3330857575133094277_n.jpg12234959_10153112223525583_7343964258022046725_n.jpg

Matt

I can't see how hanging from the handle would harm the saw, unless the teeth are able to bang into things as another poster mentioned. The actual problem with hanging like that is the amount of space they take up if you have more than a couple of saws. A till like Matt shows saves a lot of space. Outside of that, the important thing is not to store them in such a way that there is a bending force on the plate.

Some people recommend hanging them from slots in a board, reverse from the till above so that the plates hangs downward.

Personally I like to see the one I'm reaching for.

Blog Entries
    My saws hang on pegs by the handle. There are guards on the tooth line.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/h...ladeguard.aspx

I have stored hand saws on pegs for decades. Here are some historical examples:
    joiner's shop forty hill.jpgenglish-joiners med.jpg