Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching HD to SSD

I'm actually shopping for a new laptop and started looking into the whole SSD thing.....but I ruled it out because the only benefit seemed to be fast boot up times (which I don't care about at all)......or am I missing something?

I currently have Win7 and have been trying to delay the switch to Win10.

I was thinking of a 1TB HDD, 16MB RAM, and an i7 quad core as the three most important things to run Corel (X5) and the laser. Fonts (only 1,000 installed) really seems to affect performance.

Feel free to throw out any recommendations for me.....I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve Clarkson; 12-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    .....but I ruled it out because the only benefit seemed to be fast boot up times (which I don't care about at all)......or am I missing something?...
    It's not only boot times.
    1. All Read/Writes are faster.
    2. Lower energy usage.
    3. Hibernate no longer needed.
    4. Superfetch no longer needed.
    5. File Indexing no longer needed.
    6. Defrag no longer needed - No fragmentation.
    7. No moving parts -
    --A. Reduces Energy
    --B. Reduces Noise
    --C. Reduces Heat
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

The whole machine runs faster, a lot faster. Not sure if they make 2.5 inch SSD for laptops?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The whole machine runs faster, a lot faster. Not sure if they make 2.5 inch SSD for laptops?
    Everybody does. SSD drives can be postage stamp size since they are just a few chips. My fiber machines have 64GB "drives" that are 1.125" wide x 2" long x .125" thick.

One thing to keep in mind with SSD's is the max number of write cycles. Unlike HDD these chips can only be written to so many times then they fail (write induced wear).
    Run health check software from time to time - probably twice a year - that will give you an assessment of SSD lifetime so you will be ready to replace the drive and data before total failure.

Otherwise they are great and you can drop them - try that with HDD, I have oops.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with SSD's is the max number of write cycles. Unlike HDD these chips can only be written to so many times then they fail (write induced wear).
    Run health check software from time to time - probably twice a year - that will give you an assessment of SSD lifetime so you will be ready to replace the drive and data before total failure.

Otherwise they are great and you can drop them - try that with HDD, I have oops.
    I bought the higher end Samsung Pro drives because they have a 10 year warranty. Anything beyond that is pretty pointless as the machine will be so outdated that only Kev would have a use for it...

All of my machines either came with or have been swapped over to SSD. You'll see dramatic speed improvements on boot times, app launches, and file loads. Spinning disks should only be used for long term storage and RAID arrays.

Update: Although the PC was much faster, it still wasn't what I had expected. Discovered something this morning that more than doubled it's SSD speed. The instructions said to plug the SSD into a free power port (smaller cable). NOT TRUE!!!!! Since this is now my primary drive, it needed to be plugged into the Master port (Red), not a Slave port (Black). Made this change & now have the speeds I had expected. From cold boot to an active Corel session had been 5+ minutes (HHD), now just seconds.
    NOTE: This is an Acer PC, other PCs may vary.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 12-09-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    No, you have it right. If you have plugged into slave, PC is looking for a master, then the slave. So it goes to reason times got better.
    I started to go with the SSD on this refurb, but I'm kind of glad I didn't if there is actually a read/write maximum. I'll get one later and install.
    As long as I'm only using this PC for the laser and internet it will be fast enough for a while. Much faster than my other PCs
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I think its a Read-Write max to a certain area of the SSD. Since the software checks those areas and I would think block them from use, just as a HD does. My guess you will be either moving to another laptop or retired before you reach that max. Its kind of like walking everywhere to reduce mileage on your car.

The prices are so low today for a SSD you will recover the cost in speed of whatever your doing, and increased productivity.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm sure an SSD would help me, but I can trace all my slow computer crap right to Microsoft. I'm running an XP VP on my Win8, it runs like lightning compared to 8, unless Microsoft is poking their nose in my business, then the whole computer slows down 4-fold. And it's several times a day...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

More good news for those who like reliable OS (XP) - I'm told that the next generation Intel Processors - due out after the 1st of the year are not backward compatible & ONLY work with Windows 10 and above.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

For those worried about the write limit on SSDs -
    I've had my main machine for about 2 years now : the SSD dashboard reports 96% life remaining.
    At about 2% loss per year, the drive is likely to outlast the computer by quite a long way!

This is my main machine, on all day every day.
    As I said in an earlier post, I have disabled de-fragging on the SSD (as defragging just wears the drive out unnecessarily).

Just have to live with the fact that Window's page files etc. (which get re-written all the time) are using up SSD life - to move the files to another drive would slow the machine right down and defeat the object of installing the SSD.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Blog Entries
    Michael,

2 things you can do to affect the use of Page Files.
    1. Increase your RAM. If the machine can work more from RAM it will use Virtual Memory (Page Files) less.
    2. Change Windows from using a dynamic Page File (the default) and bump the size of the page file up significantly (by a factor of 4 over the size it is recommending). That will prevent the page file from increasing and decreasing in size, but still allow it plenty of room. That also helps reduce the need to defrag, and fragmentations effect on the use of the page file. Though you did mention you have turned off defrag. So that last bit is much less important to you.

See if that helps at all.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    More good news for those who like reliable OS (XP) - I'm told that the next generation Intel Processors - due out after the 1st of the year are not backward compatible & ONLY work with Windows 10 and above.
    I think that's a bit of misunderstanding. Windows 7, 8 and probably XP should install and run. However recent features built into the processor won't be enabled when running OSs earlier than Windows 10. Microsoft and Intel are not developing drivers to support the newest processor functions for preWin10 OSs. At least that's what I've read. For desktops it's not an issue anyway, current generation processors will be available for years in the future. Laptops could be an issue, I guess we'll see.