Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Still struggling with G0555 tension now w/ pics

My problems continue. Maybe I'm not cutoit for this stuff. i love the woodworking but the machine problems kill me. Now i have tension on the spring but no tension on the blade. its as if i need to some how move the wheel up or the spring and slider bad aren't making the wheel go higher. at this point i hate life in the shop

Dave...post photos similar to the ones you posted earlier but from a slight larger perspective. I want to see a larger portion of the upper part of the machine in one photo. I want to see both sides of the upper part of the machine.

This isn't magic. It's just figuring out what is not happening and why.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Mr Fitzgerald. Sorry for being so bothersome. It's just driving me crazy. The woodworking part is so much fun but trying to figure out why a machine won't work is driving me crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know this was mentioned before but did you make sure you had the correct blade length? It looks like the blade is to long. Like you are out of stroke on adjustment. You can probably pick up a blade for testing purposes at any big box home improvement store near you.

Dave,

First, you aren't a bother! Many on this website have helped me.

Based on the photos, I agree with Ronald Blue, it appears that you have a blade that is too long.

Let me check the Grizzly website and find out what size blade is recommended for the G0555. I will get back to you soon.
    Ken

Dave,

The Grizzly website shows the blade length for the G0555 to be 92 1/2"-93 1/2".

Take the blade off, lay it on the ground. Lay the blade teeth up to prevent damaging the teeth. Be careful to not cut yourself! Put a piece of tape on one spot of the blade and put a pencil mark on it. Now measure from that mark around the blade back to the mark.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-03-2016 at 1:17 PM.
    Ken

The sliding casting with the spring in it moves up when you tighten the tension knob, which causes the upper wheel to move up and tension the blade. It looks like this casting has moved up until it hit the shaft collar on the bottom of the tension arm. When the casting hit the shaft collar it stopped moving, and further tightening of the knob caused the spring to compress. So....it looks to me like either that shaft collar is too low on the shaft, or the blade is too long for the saw. The tension mechanism is working correctly, it's just running out of range and hitting the shaft collar before wheel has moved enough to tension the blade.

--Geoff.

Thanks everyone. The blade is definitely the right length and matches another that I tested from store. I will try to move the lower bushing or lock nut further up thanks

Did you measure the blade? What is it's length?
    Ken

Its 93-1/2" best I can tell. Kind of helard to measure it but that's what I get. I can push the wheel up by hand so I wonder if something broke because I cannot get the casting or wheel up high enough

Is the wheel going up or just tilting?

Let me take a look at the part diagram again. I 'll be right back.
    Ken

There is a shaft onto which the upper wheel is mounted. One end of the shaft passes through a bearing which is pressed into the wheel and the wheel is held on by a washer & nut. The other end of the shaft goes into the shaft bracket and is held in by a roll pin. At the left and right sides of this triangular shaped shaft bracket are pins (one on each side). The shaft bracket swivels/tilts towards and away from you as you face the wheel so you can see the blade on the wheel. This swiveling motion is controlled by the knob on the other side of the BS which is how you track the blade on the wheels.
    The two pins (one on each side of the shaft bracket) are mounted on the sliding housing where you are reading the spring tension (blade size). So without tension, the wheel without tension will tilt. Once tension is on it, the blade tracking knob will then tilt it.

Has this BS worked since you bought it? Do you have an old blade that was mounted and tensioned correctly?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-03-2016 at 4:44 PM.
    Ken

Just a point of info....
    The 3/4" blade is wayyyyyy too much for the saw. I have the 0555LX, and only use a 1/2" blade max.
    Keep listening to Ken. He's the BOSS.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Have you changed anything on the tension rod? In your original post pics the tension rod is almost touching the casting at the bottom of the rod (as it should be), but in post #11, the rod is up away from the casting. It would seem that the rod is unscrewing vertically when what should be happening is the nut climbs the rod thereby compressing the spring. Are the set screws in place in the two collars near the top? The tension rod should not be moving vertically, I don't believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The other end of the shaft goes into the shaft bracket and is held in by a roll pin.
    The bracket may be bent. Common problem caused by over-tension.
    Part # 35-3
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-03-2016 at 5:47 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night