Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still struggling with G0555 tension now w/ pics

Still struggling with G0555 tension now w/ pics

I continue to struggle getting any tension on my G0555 that we bought used. Here's where I'm at. I'd bought a 3/4 bladerunner from Iturra, but yes, I also have a 1/2" too. It makes no difference right now.

I took out the old tension rod, ran it through a die to make sure the threads were good, and ran a tap to clean the threads on the square nut. I put in the new iturra spring, but couldn't get it tensioned for more than a 1/8" blade. So I ordered a new rod and nut thinking hey why not.

I put the bushings all the way at the top, but as you can see in the pics, even with the rod screwed all the way down until the point bottoms out on the saw, I can't get enough tension. Please help me figure out what's wrong. My dad has no ideas and neither does my neighbor and neither does my shop teacher at school.20161201_200050.jpg20161201_200058.jpg20161201_200112.jpg20161201_200330.jpg

Dave,

I would check to see if the lock collar on the tension rod is in the right position. It's held on by a set screw. Regardless of where you set the tension, that tension rod should not be able to reach and bottom out onto the saw.

If you look at the manual for the G0555, the lock collar is item#130A. It should keep that rod from going down that far regardless of where the tension is set.

If the collar was farther down towards the end of the tension adjustment rod, it would allow the nut below the spring to climb up farther increasing tension.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-01-2016 at 11:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

130 on mine looks a bit different - see the top bushing on both pics 2 and 4. I have it on the rod as far as threads will let it go before putting in the set screw. I'm totally lost and don't see what's wrong.

See the lock collar below the knob on the adjustment shaft? That collar needs to be moved towards the other end of the shaft. Right now IMO it's too high allowing the nut to run out of threads before it tensions the blade properly. If the collar is moved down, the nut will pick up the mechanical load of the spring sooner and have more threads to climb towards the knob thus increasing spring tension.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    Ken

The G0555 is a popular bandsaw and there are a lot of users.

Hopefully one of them will get on this thread and confirm whether or not that tension rod should ever extend until it gets near or touches the upper frame arm.

There is nothing magic about this. You are pulling against the frame trying lift up the upper wheel bracket,compressing the spring, simultaneously pulling up on the upper wheel and applying tension on the blade.

If you can't get it to move up, either you have run out of threads or the nut is slipping due to bad threads on the nut or shaft..or the blade is too long..or the upper frame arm is flexing which is the least likely cause.

If you look closely to photo number 3, there appears to be either metal particles or sawdust on the upper frame arm.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2016 at 12:19 AM.
    Ken

Dave,
    have you checked this video at Grizzly?

https://youtu.be/kxAfPq6ZcUA

Notice that the end of the tension rods doesn't get near the upper frame arm.
    Ken

Another possibility is that your blade is too long.

I would check all of the above points first however...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Another possibility is that your blade is too long.

I would check all of the above points first however...........Regards, Rod.
    I think Rob hit the nail on the head with blade length.

With no blade on the saw you can compress the spring fully. To develop tension in the blade, the upper wheel must pull against the blade as the spring is compressed. If the blade is too long, the upper wheel cannot pull against the blade very hard before the spring is fully compressed, and no more tension can be developed past that point.

So if the blade is too long, only a little tension will Be developed before the spring is fully compressed, marking an end to further tension increase (for practical purposes. You might get more by forcing things in some cases).

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I think Rob hit the nail on the head with blade length
    I am in this camp.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Did you call grizzly? I think is had this same problem years ago and they walked me through how to reset the tension.

I apologize but I forget the procedure now. But whatever they told me did work at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    ... even with the rod screwed all the way down until the point bottoms out on the saw, I can't get enough tension. 20161201_200112.jpg
    The rod should always rest on the cast iron of the saw at the bottom, so that turning it pushes the sliding block up. This raises the wheel to put tension on the blade, compressing the spring. Yours has raised the block higher than is desirable without compressing the spring at all, so it's not working correctly. The blade is definitely too long or the blade is not engaged with both wheels. It's possible there is an adjustment that would raise the wheel compared to the sliding block, as that could allow longer blades. You should not be able to install a correctly sized blade while the block is so high.

All I've tried to do here is to explain why I think those who suggest the blade is too long are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave,
    have you checked this video at Grizzly?

https://youtu.be/kxAfPq6ZcUA

Notice that the end of the tension rods doesn't get near the upper frame arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    The rod should always rest on the cast iron of the saw at the bottom, so that turning it pushes the sliding block up. This raises the wheel to put tension on the blade, compressing the spring. Yours has raised the block higher than is desirable without compressing the spring at all, so it's not working correctly. The blade is definitely too long or the blade is not engaged with both wheels. It's possible there is an adjustment that would raise the wheel compared to the sliding block, as that could allow longer blades. You should not be able to install a correctly sized blade while the block is so high.

All I've tried to do here is to explain why I think those who suggest the blade is too long are correct.

Alan...did you watch the video produced by Grizzly tech support for the G0555 bandsaw? My eyes are aging but I didn't see the end of theshaft touch the upper frame arm anywhere during the alignment procedure or even when they detensioned the blade.

Furthermore, his knob is below the top of the cover while in the video, the knob is well above the top of the cabinet. Just observations.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2016 at 1:16 PM.
    Ken

Spent some time on phone with Grizzly. I made 2 super dumb mistakes. I didn't know I needed to have the blade on it. I was trying to test it to make sure I could get to 3/4 before I put the blade on, and I had the bushings up too high. It can't get tension until the lower bushing is against the sliding bracket. Ok, I'm dumb but at least it looks like I should be able to get it going.

Dave....we all have made mistakes! Glad to know it's working. Thanks for the update!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    No troubles. Sounds like you've got it now.