Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Dust Collector questions - V3000

Blog Entries

Quiet Dust Collector questions - V3000

I know 'quiet' is a relative term. For those who own the V3000, is it 'quiet' in your opinion?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian, I cannot answer your question, but I will admit to being surprised to see this question coming from you. I can only presume you are planning on amping up production???? And going to the dark side . . . . I.e., the vortex sucks in another one . . . Sorry, couldn't resist.

whatever you do, we already know it will be well thought out and reflect excellent craftsmanship.
    Best regards, patrick the-not-quite-funny smart aleck.

Blog Entries
    Hah, I figured this would raise a few eyebrows. I've run into a conundrum in that I want to be able to resaw full length and full width cases for cabinets. I can acquire the stock in 8/4 (no one cuts 4/4 full width slabs with a few exceptions) but rather than acquire it and pay hours to have someone else resaw it, I'd rather do it myself. The alternative is to buy full logs and have them sawn to my desires....something I don't want to do as waiting 2 years for some cabinet stock is not in my range of interest.

I don't mind glue-ups for cabinets, but I've really wanted to work full slabs for my cabinet work for some time now. In addition to that I have a host of work coming up which calls for 18-20" wide 4/4 stock in mahogany....6' long.

I'm without a pit saw team, and so I decided to buy a MM20.

Yes, it is quiet and that's one reason I bought it. My first cyclone was a woodsucker which was screaming loud. My second cyclone was a Grizzly 5hp that was even louder. So now in my third and smallest shop, a 2 car attached garage, quiet was important as I didnt want to pollute the house with too much noise. So the V3000 fit the bill. I still wear hearing protection but its the quietest cyclone I have seen. The resin body seems to keep the sound down. And it works very well too.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

With respect to large dust collectors, yes its quiet. However I always use hearing protection anything since all the tools are as loud or louder anyway, so the loudness of a dust collector can sometimes end up being a moot point.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I don't know that quiet is the word I would use. Granted I have an older model from before they were resin. I built an insulated closet around mine and it made a huge difference. It's definitely quieter than my planer and it's sound even with the closet door open is muffled by the sound of the tool I am using. Most of the noise I get is the air movement. You don't hear it at all in the house. Far better than other units I've had experience with though.

I have not experienced one of these but claim to be quiet.
    http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...ard/#more-9016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Greinert View Post
    I have not experienced one of these but claim to be quiet.
    http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...ard/#more-9016
    Why overpriced for the air it moves and the crappy 5 micron filters it uses IMO. Going with an Onieda would be a much better choice.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to avoid going well of track, I'm only considering a cyclone, furthermore I'm highly considering this cyclone because the advertised DB's are 75~ at 10ft. That's lower than the 82DB of similar machines. I briefly considered the other machine, but it is brand new, I'm not keen to be a test pilot, and it is double the price....money I'd rather spend elsewhere.

I've received some wonderful information on how to quiet them down further that I will likely employ. (thanks John!)

Reasonably quiet is important to me, because I do not live in a lonesome shack deep in the woods, nor do I live in an industrial area.

Following this closely as I'm close to pulling trigger. I am of a similar mind about suitability of the V3000 for my situation, as I see so many gripes about the dB level of other DCs. But I've also read all the gripes about poor separation from the 'short-bodied' cyclones - like the v-series, and this has me looking at the SDG options.

Anybody compared the V3000 and SDG (both 3hp) head-to-head?

Blog Entries
    I have a V-5000 & it's very quite. But it's in a sound proofed room with an insulated return air duct. With it running carrying on a whispered conversation is possible.

If you guys do end up going with Oneida, remember to not be tempted and skip their Dust Level Bin Sensor and Filter Efficiency Gauge. I posted how to build your own with the exact same parts Onieda uses HERE and HERE for much less! And there is discussion on how to improve upon them.

Can also recommend the DIY Dust Level Sensor from Ben's thread - mine works perfectly every time and was an easy build

I've been amazed how clean you can keep that carpet with just a festool shop vac.

I'll be interested in hearing your experience; my bandsaw saws well, but the dust collection is a bit underwhelming.
    Did you give any thought to the Felder RL-series?

Matt