Thread: Anyone have any (beautifully done) simple projects?

Anyone have any (beautifully done) simple projects?

I haven't done any woodworking for about 4 months, since the dental practice has been really picking up.
    For the past few weeks, I've been looking at some really nice tools (Thanks to Rob Lee and Stan Covington) that are just beckoning me to use them.
    I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm becoming a ... collector!

Do you guys have any simple projects that you're proud of?

I'd like to get some ideas for simple gifts for others that are uniquely neander.
    Also, I'd love to see other people's work.

Sharpening stone boxes.

Pastor uses this to hide all the candy in..
    front view.jpg

Matt; for your neander friends, you could always make up some shooting boards for working end grain.

Blog Entries
    Simple is in the shop of the maker. Here are a few of mine:

A tea cabinet was my second attempt at a raised panel. Next time I will know to make the margins equal from top to side:

Raised Panel Door.jpg

I also cut the molding with hand planes. Here is a bit more on it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Latest-Project

Also made some tile top tables:

Tile Top Table.jpg

This wasn't quite full neander since the corner joints were made using pocket screws.

The Tote Stool was all neander unless cutting the handle curve with a bandsaw is verboten:

Tote Stool.jpgStool Tote.jpg

Kind of handy to carry a few items to the garden and then have a stool to sit on.

The coat and hat rack was all neander except for using a drill press to drill the angled holes and a lathe to turn the pegs:

In Use.jpg

Hand planes were used on the back board to give it some molding features. Here is a post on that:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Not-So-Simple

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

11032384_572745846219836_1799537880106454572_n.jpg Try this. It seems tough, its really easy...you just have to be organized.

Sean, I always enjoy seeing your work!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I haven't done any woodworking for about 4 months, since the dental practice has been really picking up.
    For the past few weeks, I've been looking at some really nice tools (Thanks to Rob Lee and Stan Covington) that are just beckoning me to use them.
    I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm becoming a ... collector!

Do you guys have any simple projects that you're proud of?

I'd like to get some ideas for simple gifts for others that are uniquely neander.
    Also, I'd love to see other people's work.
    Here's one of the simpler projects I've done. The hardware was a kit from Woodcraft or Pen State, IIRC. Basically just a box with a simple drawer.

Coffee Grinder 2.jpg

This tool tote for my son was also pretty straightforward, neanderthal style:

1103162107.jpg1103162106a.jpg

If your recipients are also woodworkers, or even as an easy project for yourself, you might consider making some wooden squares. I don't have any really good pictures of mine, but you can see all three of them hanging in the rack here:

100_5795.jpg
    Last edited by Roy Lindberry; 12-03-2016 at 12:55 AM.

How about some Follansbee-like stuff? Really simple to make but looks like it is quite something.

foto klein.JPG

That is a great piece. I kept getting drawn back to look at it. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hagerty View Post
    11032384_572745846219836_1799537880106454572_n.jpg Try this. It seems tough, its really easy...you just have to be organized.

My Stepmother is vertically challenged and has a number of step stools, coincidentally all hand made. I made her this one to add to the collection.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hagerty View Post

I can just picture my buddies playing chess on this board and getting confused.

Really beautiful stuff!

Keep it coming!

Stewie, what wood did you use? Impeccable craftsmanship and very tasteful lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Really beautiful stuff!

Keep it coming!

Stewie, what wood did you use? Impeccable craftsmanship and very tasteful lines.
    Matt; the top box is old growth Australian Jarrah. The next shown is Tasmanian Huon Pine, darkened with an oil stain.

Stewie;